PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a Steermaster III cable for 1984 S&S

keith3613
08-06-2010, 11:25 AM
I have a 1984 S&S. It has a 14 foot Steermaster III steering system. Does anyone know where you can get a replacement cable? Skidim says Steermaster went out of business a long time ago. Skidim suggests a retrofit unit which may involve altering the dash. I sure donít like that idea.

ski_king
08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Do a search, somebody had a thread about that retrofit recently.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36737&highlight=steering+cable

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
I just installed the U-Flex Helm Kit in my '77 and the only thing I had to do was drill three holes to mount the bracket that the new helm unit bolts to. The holes are covered by the new bezel and can't be seen. It was a really simple installation and I couldn't be happier with the quality. If you go with the U-Flex system, make sure to get the correct bezel kit for your boat. Mine took a 20 degree kit. Also, my steering cable must be routed differently as I needed a 17' cable.

markismm
08-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Yes. You can still ge the Steermaster cables. Check out https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=642/

I called them and they are still able to get the cables. I was actually able to "refurbish" my steermaster cable when it froze up. I took it out and let it sit in a light solvent solution after working with it for a while. I spun the cable with a slow drill and slowly worked all of the old grimey grease out. Then I worked some new marine grease back into the system. Did all of this back in January of this year. The cable has been working great all summer with no interruptions. Turns better than it ever did before.

If you do not want to "refurbish" your cable, then you can order a new one or replace with the UFLEX system. I ordered the UFLEX system and then sent it back when I realized I would have to mod my dash somewhat. Not that I could not do it, I just did not want to. The UFLEX system comes with plastic parts, such as an ugly bezel, and the original Steermaster bezel is chromed metal. It looks much better than the UFLEX helm.

This is my experience with the whole ordeal. Let me know what you choose to do of is you want to discuss the "refurbing" idea. I'll tell you more details if you would like.

markismm
08-06-2010, 01:52 PM
By the way, I have an 84 S & S which is pretty much all original and that played a big factor in not wanting to change the helm.

keith3613
08-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Spoke to Gayle Brantuk at Glen-L marine designs (562-630-6258). She told me that the cables are still being made, but not by Steermaster. The 14ft cable is sold out and will be restocked in January.

markismm
08-06-2010, 03:37 PM
So what do you think you are going to do. You going to go with the UFLEX, TELEFLEX, Steermaster in January, or try to refurb the old one now. Let us know what you do and post some pics of your work.