PDA

View Full Version : 88 Prostar - Resto - Slight Twist on the Classic (Pics)

Luv2Ski
08-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Wanted to share the results of my project boat thus far.

Purchased in late November in pretty sad shape. The previous owner had bought her new and I am sure loved it back in the 80s when he was an avid slalom skier; however, over the years his family grew, a MariStar joined the fleet and this MasterCraft sat at the dock and aged (his wife hated this boat - too "wet"). Bummer for him, great for me.

Picked it up on Craigs list and got to work. At purchase the transmission reverse gear was blown and the front seal leaked about a quart every half hour. He had six quarts of oil in the storage compartments and simply added oil each outing. There was oil everywhere! When I would step out of the boat, I left oily foot prints in my garage. The sun had really taken its toll as well, vinyl shot, carpet shot, gelcoat heavy faded with plenty of chips. Engine ran, but far from well.

I appreciate all the folks who go for the bone stock restoration. I wanted to modernize the look a bit and re-designed the vinyl using some newer styles (like the carbon fiber texture and French seams). I also designed the graphics with the same goal in mind. Pretty happy with the results, but would love to hear opinions from fellow enthusiasts.

In summary:

Rebuilt transmission
New prop shaft bearings and stuffing
Hours of cleaning
Hours and hours of gelcoat repair and buffing
TONS of sanding and refinishing to swim platform (thank you belt sander)
New graphics
New distributor, plugs, oil sending unit, solenoid, coil
Rebuilt carburetor
Rebuild speedometers, added new pitots
New carpet
New vinyl and foam
New bunk carpet
Powerdcoated black trim pieces, swim step supports, and pylon
New rubrail
Reinforced instrument cluster (glass on back)
New ventilation and heater ducting
Painted steering wheel
Painted trailer frame
Added a wench and bow roller (hated the bar)
lots other small misc fixes

Finished all this up almost four months ago but was too busy using up spare time skiing to sit down and post pics. It has been a blast and we are looking forward to having this boat in the family for years.

Items I hope to get done this fall:

Install stereo (have components already)
Clean underside (has some growth on it)
Polish trailer fenders (hard to get motivated on this one)
Install shower
Install power ports (canít believe it does not have any)

As many have said... thanks to all those who post on this amazing resource. The many searches I did here saved me countless hours finding solutions to problems. This is an amazing resource.

One thing I really regret is the lack of "in process" pictures I took... pretty dumb of me to take so few, but I was too focused on getting her in the water (Limited time with a wife and young kid deserving the bulk of my attention)

Luv2Ski
08-05-2010, 11:45 PM

Luv2Ski
08-05-2010, 11:57 PM
And here is the results, exterior pics first.... thanks again to all those who helped

FrankSchwab
08-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Marvelous!

That gelcoat is gorgeous, and I love the interior.

/frank

Luv2Ski
08-06-2010, 12:04 AM
and finally the interior pictures

jconover
08-06-2010, 12:16 AM
sexy bote :-)

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Wow, really nice job. I like the way you made that boat yours. :cool:

SKADMAN
08-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Sweet ride man. Ur good!

BROUSSARD
08-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Love ALMOST everything! I personally do not like those graphics.

jconover
08-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Is that black color what the boat came as originally? I have the same hull but someone painted it blue

BROUSSARD
08-06-2010, 12:33 AM
You had color options, can you post pics of your boat?

BROUSSARD
08-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Is that black color what the boat came as originally? I have the same hull but someone painted it blue

Interior and exterior pics please.

jconover
08-06-2010, 12:44 AM
PO redid interior

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36470

BROUSSARD
08-06-2010, 01:21 AM
PO redid interior

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36470

when you bought the boat what was the interior colours?

nascar
08-06-2010, 06:42 AM
outstanding work ! , All the decals look sharp , really like the Pro Star with the skier . The interior look great too . Now , go enjoy many hours on the water with your family .

callaway_1
08-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Nice work!

ksdaoski
08-06-2010, 07:16 AM
looks great! nice job!

makes me miss my old 88!

Kevin&Annie
08-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Great job! Did you have to wet sand the gel coat or just buff the hell out of it?

91prostar
08-06-2010, 09:43 AM
That looks awesome great job!

Luv2Ski
08-06-2010, 09:49 AM

Yes, the gelcoat is original. Mine had the red tape pinstripe just like yours does. I did not care for the look or the extra maintenance of the tape and opted not to put it back on.

Luv2Ski
08-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Great job! Did you have to wet sand the gel coat or just buff the hell out of it?

I had to sand a lot where the original graphics and pin stripe were. The gelcoat under those sections was raised and took a lot of 600 grit sanding to remove. I also had to sand the transom a bunch. It had white speckles almost embedded into the gelcoat and no amount of buffing seamed to touch them. I ended up getting some 600 grit paper for my electric random orbital and went to town until the speckles were gone. Everything I sanded, I followed up with 800 grit, occasionally 1,000 but that felt like that was not worth the time relative to the buffer (not knocking others, I know the sanding is a very popular and I am sure very effective method).

Mostly I buffed, starting with Meguiars No. 49 Oxidation Remover which I found worked really well. It cuts hard at first but breaks down so well that the shine really comes back. I followed that with their No. 45 Polish and finally a coat of No. 56 Pure Wax over most of the boat, but switched to turtle wax ice around the graphics so as to avoid the white powder edges. The Ice product is easy to work with and appears to protect well, I will probably just use it in general as it is very easy to apply.

Ubugme2
08-06-2010, 10:12 AM
WOW THAT IS F ING AWSOME!!!!!!!!! Those pics made my day!

dtc
08-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Nice Job! I think it's a great lookin' ski tug inside and out.

You probably already have showers in mind, but I thought you might like to know about this possible solution ...

http://www.whalepumps.com/twist-revolution/

Enjoy teaching your young one to ski behind a boat you all can be proud of.

joecarew3
08-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Who did that interior? Looks pretty nice. Clean boat, have fun with it!

TLR67
08-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Awesome Job!

jconover
08-06-2010, 01:02 PM
The shots in the thread I linked have a few shots of the interior color as it is now

jconover
08-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Yes, the gelcoat is original. Mine had the red tape pinstripe just like yours does. I did not care for the look or the extra maintenance of the tape and opted not to put it back on.

That's exactly what I have to decide - i have 3 options from my local paint shop and these forums:

1) Sand the hell out of everything back down to the gelcoat.
PROs: Original Gelcoat :-)
CONs: Condition of original gelcoat. I have yet to find a shop that wants to do gelcoat repair on this boat -- they all want to sand, glass, and paint to match color, and they warn me that gelcoat repair will yellow/discolor over time.

2) Repaint the upper part in a color of my choice. I'm actually partial to the red mastercraft color. I like this option :-)
PROS: Red boat
CONS: It's black under the red. scratches will suck.

3) Repaint in current color. Take off all graphics and pinstripes
PROs: Stay with current color scheme
CONs: Same paint issues, though the color is close enough to black you can't really see it

ahhudgins
08-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Very nice job, makes me sorry that I traded in my 87 Powerslot. Mine had the same colors. I like the graphics on the sides and stern, it works on that boat.

ahhudgins
08-07-2010, 03:17 PM
I just noticed that you are at Claytor Lake. I'm in Lynchburg and I used to get my parts at Conrad Brothers. I've been to Claytor for a barefoot clinic years ago but I ski at Leesville Lake every weekend. The 87 that I used to own was a demo boat of Conrads and looks indentical to your yours. Glad to see you spent so much time bringing yours back to life.

Luv2Ski
08-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Who did that interior? Looks pretty nice. Clean boat, have fun with it!

I did the prep work and reassembly, Viper Customs out of TN did the vinyl and put the carpet down for me as well as had a shop do the powder coating. Other than a few small items; I am very happy with the way it turned out - particularly since it was competitively priced and yet completely custom. I was a bit aggravated that it took six weeks after Jim promised me two, but I did drop it off during the spring rush. I would use them again, but I would also check out Leading Edge.

Luv2Ski
08-09-2010, 10:09 AM
I just noticed that you are at Claytor Lake. I'm in Lynchburg and I used to get my parts at Conrad Brothers. I've been to Claytor for a barefoot clinic years ago but I ski at Leesville Lake every weekend. The 87 that I used to own was a demo boat of Conrads and looks indentical to your yours. Glad to see you spent so much time bringing yours back to life.

That makes since as this 88 started its life out at Conrads!.

My wife and I need to hitch up the boat and checkout Leesville as well as Smith Mountain. So far we have always just gone to Claytor so we can spend less time driving and more time in the water. But lets face it, the clear water up your way is much nicer. Have you ever been out to Phillpott Lake? I hear it is worth the drive.

spicergregg@yahoo.com
08-25-2010, 09:28 PM
WOW... Nice job.
What did you do to bring back the swim platform so well?
Thanks

H20skeefreek
08-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Very nice work, you should be proud. A+++ on the whole thing.

nitro5238
08-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Wow...what more can I say that others haven't. Great job. Thanks for bringing the old girl back to factory condition.

Luv2Ski
08-26-2010, 10:19 AM
WOW... Nice job.
What did you do to bring back the swim platform so well?
Thanks

Teak is amazing wood, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the teak turned out. That picture is capturing the teak about three months after I did the work, so it was even a bit better initially.

I first tried mixing up a solution that I have used for years when restoring a log house (1 gallon bleach, 4 gallon water, 4 oz TSP). Sprayed that one, power washed it off. Although it brought the color back, the grain was very lifted (from age not power washing). So, out came the belt sander and the 80 grit followed up with 120.

I removed a lot of material. Probably about 3/16". I actually sanded enough that most of the groves were gone from the surface. Once I had the wood smooth, I used a router to put the groves back. Then finished it with some 220 on the random orbital.

The only disappointment is that I took enough material for some of the stainless nails to start coming through. A dab of black paint on them makes em look like part of the wood grain rather than a shiny metallic dot.

From there, just two coats of teak oil. Little 220 between coats. Did not do any of the high-grit sanding between coats as some others do, I don't like how slippery that can get when you get crazy with the paper.

Overall, probably only have about 2 hours invested in the platform itself. Power tools rock.

Luv2Ski
08-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks a lot for all the comments. Great to hear people like the way it turned out, makes the effort worthwhile when it is well-received.

jconover
08-26-2010, 03:38 PM

Finally took some pix of my PO interior. I love the interior on this thread, i wish i could replicate it.

Luv2Ski
08-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Judging by the red and black stripe on your combing pad I would say your original interior was the same scheme as mine. Probably same scheme on the gel coat too.

My local upholster wanted to go all one color like yours. He told me it will look more "modern". I think that is crazy talk, look at the number of colors most of the new MasterCrafts have on vinyl. He lack of desire to be creative and his $1k higher price tag are what motivated me to drive 4 hours to TN.

Although Jim prefers to put the interior in, he will just make skins, ship them to you, and you can put them on yourself. That said, given that your interior is in usable condition, I imagine you are focusing on your mechanical and gel coat for now.

shepherd
10-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Just saw this thread. Awesome job! :worthy:

oxberger
10-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Great Job on the restore! It's giving me inspiration for mine. I love these threads!

87PS190
10-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Luv2Ski, great job!! Looks great.

jasonba1
10-13-2010, 10:39 AM
boat looks sick I got to see it not long after you dropped it off to viper and a little before you picked it up. The interior is sick love the carbon fiber black vinyl my 88 was in the shop same time as yours you may have seen it. I stole a few ideas from your interior hope you dont mind. Once again boat looks awesome and mine is turning out great as well highly reccomend Viper Customs by the way will you come do my wetsanding ha ha? your exterior looks great

Luv2Ski
10-13-2010, 01:02 PM
boat looks sick I got to see it not long after you dropped it off to viper and a little before you picked it up. The interior is sick love the carbon fiber black vinyl my 88 was in the shop same time as yours you may have seen it. I stole a few ideas from your interior hope you dont mind. Once again boat looks awesome and mine is turning out great as well highly reccomend Viper Customs by the way will you come do my wetsanding ha ha? your exterior looks great

That is all good, I stole a few ideas from a prostar that was there just before mine, I think that is pretty much the way it works!

Going to be a while before I feel like taking on another large gelcoat job.... patience patience.

Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

03geetee
10-13-2010, 04:27 PM
That is one perfect recovery and restoration. Kudos to you man.

JTR

asr84
10-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Excellent restoration job!

It looks from your first pics that there may have been some chips out of the gelcoat on the rear corner. How did you repair these?

I have an 87 that I am thinking about wetsanding and buffing. Gelcoat is oxidized, although not too bad for the age. Any tips other than those mentioned in the posts above?

Luv2Ski
10-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks!

Here is a link describing the general method I use don the chips (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=699463&postcount=37)

The paste is easy to use and does not require any specialized equipment, so it makes sense to use on smaller chips and scratches. It is really just a matter of cleaning, applying, sanding, buffing. Take your time and you will be happy with the results.

If you search there is a plethora of posts on removing gelcoat oxidation. This post (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=687445&postcount=9) of mine will provide some of the details on what I did.

Once you get started, feel free to create a post to ask specific questions. There are so many threads on gelcoat at this point you probably don't want to create another general "how to" thread as you may not get all that many responses.

Best of luck! Enjoy the process, it will take some time, but look at the bright side - you have all winter :)

bfinley
10-27-2010, 12:00 PM
I have a chip in the white part of my boat (just under the rub rail). Is this all I need to buy: http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/product.cgi?group=71337&product=83320

Do I need to worry about matching the color? A pic of my boat is attached.

Luv2Ski
10-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Nice ride,

It does look like you have a pure white there so if you pick the white paste there is a good chance you will be good to go without needing any tinting agents. I would probably give that a shot before buying any of the tinting agents, it will be a little tricky to figure out what colors you would need until you can compare the shade of the gelcoat to the shade of the boat.

You can probably get away without using the mold release as well. I found it unnecessary.

<EDIT>

HOLD THE PRESS! I just realized the link was to gelcoat and not gelcoat paste. I updated the link in that old post. Be sure you use the paste or you will need an entirely different set of techniques than I have described. The past is at this link (http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/product.cgi?group=71337&product=83563)

I think it only comes in a neutral color, which is essentially clear. So you will need the white tinting agent, probably nothing else!

</EDIT>

TXMC-06X2
10-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Your boat looks great. Love the graphics and interior!

mpdobson
11-03-2010, 05:08 PM
AWESOME job man. You've done an excellent job. I have the exact same pro star, colour and everything. Did you re-gel cote the hull or just lots of polish? What sort of polish did you use? Mine is a little faded and want to get it looking trick again!

Abe
11-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Well Done, That's an Awsome Restoration Job There.

Luv2Ski
11-04-2010, 09:59 AM
mpdobson: See post #21 of this thread, it describes the gelcoat work I did - some sanding, mostly polish...

Abe: Thanks man!

jconover
04-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Reviving old thread - Hey Luv2Ski, do you happen to know what color codes your gelcoat was? I've had a hell of a time finding a match...

Luv2Ski
04-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Yea, I had the same issue and decided to mix my own. It was not too difficult, though it is also easy to see how people can make a career in color science. Some tips if you go with this method:

I was able to fix all the issues with a paste:

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Evercoat_100695_Polyester_Gel_Coat_Paste.html

Purchased the clear gel and then the full assortment tinting agents. The black was easily matched, pretty much just black tint. The gray was a little tricky and although I got acceptably close, they are still visible if you know where to look. I believe I ended up mixing white, blue, and black together.

Have a section of the boat completely polished so you have a good comparative surface for color matching.

When mixing. First separate out enough gel to make ALL of the repairs for the given color. It is a drag to get the color just right only to run out on the last repair. Take a stab at a mix, start lighter than you think and add a little at a time. I smeared the color right onto the gel I was matching as well as a white board and chunk of old fiber glass. Without the harder, it wipes right off. Just keep adding a little bit of tint until you are satisfied, it seams to dry very close the color it is when wet.

I am sure some people could do this quickly, I just used a guess and check method - worked out in the end.

Wish I had a simple number for you, but hopefully this will help if nothing else. I breezed through you two new threads yesterday, but did not get a chance comment yet. Will provide some more specific input over on those shortly.

jconover
04-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the expert advice!! This is a great starting point.

I really look forward to your other thread commentary - your boat has been a template for my effort - I really like the results you got from all the hard work.

Thrall
04-19-2011, 12:13 PM
You can order an exact color match from Spectrum. May need to find the official color name from your dealer first.
I bought mine for a 12yr old boat and bought some tint just in case. Didn't need it. It matched perfectly.
Initially it was a little brighter than the rest of the boat, but after sanding the patch and buffing/polishing, it blended in fine.

jconover
04-19-2011, 01:56 PM
For the record - Spectrum does not carry the Platinum "medium gray" color tone at all any more, nor does minicraft. Spectrum will custom match, but only does so in gallon increments.

The paint IDs for this hull, to the best of MC's ability to reference it, are:
Medium Gray - Spectrum #3903
Black - Spectrum #3977

Neither color is available from spectrum anymore, though black can be created. Minicraft can still provide the black, but not the gray. "Medium gray" is discontinued. I am not really certain how a color can be discontinued -- it seems to me that this is just a matter of mixing pigments, but nevertheless, it is discontinued. It is possible they used a pigment that is no longer available due to environmental regulations or other reasons.

Thrall
04-19-2011, 02:53 PM
They told me something like that too, and that they couldn't do the gel paste in my color. Yeah, seems to me you have a base shade and pigment it to match, although gelcoat has a long shelf lifr so maybe the stock the newer colros in lg qtys. I ended up getting a quart I believe and it was around $100.
Good luck with your repairs!

TimfromLowell
04-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Who did the interior?

jconover
04-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Tim that's VIper Customs in TN (vipercustoms.com)

ProStar200
11-08-2011, 12:53 PM
The boat looks great. I am looking for the Steering Wheel center cap Decal. Where did you find it to replace it. Thanks

Lumbergh
11-08-2011, 01:48 PM
All I can say is WOW.

That boat was left for dead with neglect and you not only rescued it, but made it a head turner.

Nice work!

boxman3
11-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Just looked at all of your great work, on 1 great boat!! I have a 87 PS and would love to know who did your graphic's... The skiier looks awesome over the powerslot logo.

Luv2Ski
11-09-2011, 08:20 AM
ProStar200, it is original to the boat. I masked the steering wheel and painted it in place using a good quality gloss black spray paint. I found the cap behind the fuel tank (it had apparently fallen off and then worked its way back there). It was in two pieces, the rubber face and the metal backing. I painted the metal backing red and then glued it back onto the rubber which is why it looks unique (they were sliver stock). since you don't have one, I would suggest having a vinyl cutter make you one. Probably cost around $15 including design.

Lumbergh, thanks - appreciate it

Boxman3, I put the graphics together using Adobe Illustrator, had a local sign shop cut the vinyl, and then I applied them. It took some back and forth to figure out what the vinyl guy needed, but in the end it was a fun experience. The skiier piece came from a graphic that was floating around this forum a few years ago, I just combined the skiier and the prostar logo as I never really cared for the stock logo and was shooting for an updated look in general.

Eljaybee
07-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Very nice!

O2BESOHUGE
07-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Looks Great!

sxerob
07-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Great resto job, man. Nice to see that this thread is continuing to get so much love, although that quality leaves no question as to why.

I jotted down all the gel coat links you had hear. Hope to be able to get some progress on buffing out my gel coat on the 84 Prostar I just purchased.

cptskier15
07-20-2012, 05:17 AM
Looks amazing! Well done!