PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard binding placement help

93Prostar190
08-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Ok fellow Mc'ers ... I am a slalom guy that finally got his own board ... I have kneeboarded and wakeboard (even back to the skurfer days) but I finally got my own board for those days that I want to ride.

Well ... it arrived today and it occurred to me that I don't know the basics of binding placement ... I an ok rider ... I can do surface tricks on my friends boards and a 2 wake jump is something I can handle ....

So on my new CWB board, any binding mounting tips? or knowing me, I am going to mount my bindings in the same positions, slightly toed out and equal on both sides .... which may be the way to do it ... just wondering if there are any tips out there.

I currently tend to be more left foot forward in my comfort zone but both sides feel pretty natural.

So please forgive this slalom guy (you know we adjust fins and move bindings when we can get a certain pass or rope length ;)

Rider in training,

Peace.

Big Dogg
08-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Equal to both ends of the board, set bindings at shoulder width or slightly wider, toed out were you feel as though you have the most stability. I believe mine our toed out like 7-10 degrees. Basically whatever is most comfortable for you.

Luv2Ski
08-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Equal to both ends of the board, set bindings at shoulder width or slightly wider, toed out were you feel as though you have the most stability. I believe mine our toed out like 7-10 degrees. Basically whatever is most comfortable for you.

Dido.... this is the same way my board is setup. A symmetrical stance is nice for board sharing as well.

Was organizing some things in the garage the other day and came across my way "old school" Hyperlight board (early to mid 90s vintage). My rear foot was at 0 degrees and the front must have been at 40 degrees.... Guess I was having a hard time transitioning from slalom. There was also only three positions for the "bindings", can't believe we once rubber banded our feet down to the board.... now I have to grunt and pull just to get a binding on!

Big Dogg
08-06-2010, 02:47 AM
Dido.... this is the same way my board is setup. A symmetrical stance is nice for board sharing as well.

Was organizing some things in the garage the other day and came across my way "old school" Hyperlight board (early to mid 90s vintage). My rear foot was at 0 degrees and the front must have been at 40 degrees.... Guess I was having a hard time transitioning from slalom. There was also only three positions for the "bindings", can't believe we once rubber banded our feet down to the board.... now I have to grunt and pull just to get a binding on!

Funny you mention that, I have my 96 Connelly Grind hanging on the wall with the orginal bindings, back foot zero degrees and front was somewhere around 30-35 ish... I remember it being setup by an instructor from Texas ski school. Must have been a sign of the times because I remember it being brutally uncomfortable. Granted that same wakeboard looks like a 2x4 as compared to todays boards.

73blue
08-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Lay the board on the floor in front of you. Stand naturally, squat down, jump straight up. On landing, look at your foot placement. Place bindings to match.

willyt
08-06-2010, 11:19 AM
That placement would be good to start, but once your comfortable with it you might want to start bumping it out to the widest possible. I'm 5'4'' and ride all the way out, same situation on the snowboard

vision
08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
The mechanics of your ankles, knees, and hips are usually at their best with a slightly ducked stance about the width of your shoulders.

Many riders like to ride really wide as it is easier to control the board and spin the board, which is true. But, you will sacrifice some flexibility and alignment of your lower body. If you are young and flexible, this may not be an issue. If you are older and a little less pliable, I would not duck your stance too far and I would not ride too wide. Keep in mind that wide is all relatively to your height and board size.

93Prostar190
08-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Just want to say thanks to everyone ..... good feedback, and I am also feeling better about my idea to just be slightly toed out and symmetrical .... which is what I will go with .... just beyond shoulder width. (so long skurfer!)

Thanks to everyone that responded, I think CWB Torq bindings are going to be nice ...

As a snow skier and slalom skier, I have been exposed to some of the "bias" against snowboarding and wakeboarding ... both of which are fine sports by me.

But !!! On a really important note ... snow skiers and slalom skiers should be really grateful to snow/wake board technology / style / innovation .... we have much better bindings and clothing as a result of the "newer" riders.

Consider this little editorial as my thank you to all you riders. (you have also helped with our boat designs as well.)

so many thanks! and I will let you know how my new board helps me pack face this weekend on the water.

Peace!

73blue
08-06-2010, 04:06 PM
As a fellow snow skier who wakeboards, I still have much disdain for the snowboards, but am thankful that my clothing fits a little looser now. And good get on the torques, love that hinge-tech.