PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump hot, engine wont start

wakesurfer
08-05-2010, 05:57 PM
:confused:had a lag in acceleration out of the hole, so changed fuel filter, still the same, cleaned screen at bottom of in line fuel pump, put it back together and now the engine wont start, it turns over but it wont start. The fuel pump is hot. Called mastercraft service tech he said to pull out gas tank and check screen there, did that , he said check valve may be stuck, took a look, no check valve only manual on and off valve. ? please help, week end coming up and would like to go out on lake. How do I get the gas to prime to the fuel pump ? almost feel like hooking up inline hand squeeze ball before fuel pump? 95 prostar indmar 5.7

Wake2004
08-05-2010, 06:52 PM
When I replaced my fuel pump I kinked the flexible line the first time I reinstalled it. Would not start until I replaced the line. You should have a good amount of fuel coming out the schreader valve at the fuel rail during crank, it should self prime at that point.

wakesurfer
08-05-2010, 06:55 PM
thanks for your reply, i am sorry for my ignorance but dont know what the shrader line is or where the fuel rail is located.
No lines look kinked,Thanks very much

Wake2004
08-05-2010, 07:16 PM
On top of the engine the fuel rail feeds the fuel injectors. On that rail there should be a valve that looks like a tire fill stem. Open it like you would to let air out of a tire while cranking the engine (keep a rag near by) see if fuel comes out. If not there is a pump issue. Also a safer rout would be to purchase a fuel pressure gauge.

wakesurfer
08-05-2010, 08:29 PM
i'm sorry I must be an idiot, i just cant find the shrader valve? i followed the line up from the fuel pump, then to the fuel filter and then it goes into the stuff under the spark arrestor . :(

André
08-05-2010, 09:22 PM
i'm sorry I must be an idiot, i just cant find the shrader valve? i followed the line up from the fuel pump, then to the fuel filter and then it goes into the stuff under the spark arrestor . :(

You're not an idiot.No valve on your engine...

Wake2004
08-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Not sure on a 95' then

wakesurfer
08-07-2010, 10:42 PM
thanks figured out the probs, it was a bad o ring in the throttle body where the return rigid gas line hooks up to tbi.