PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding Helmets

bfinley
08-04-2010, 01:20 PM
How many of you wear a helmet when wakeboarding? I've had a few hard crashes this year that have made me consider some head protection. I don't hit rails or kickers, but water can really give your head a ringer if you hit it right. What helmet do you use? Do you make your kids wear one?

76S&S
08-04-2010, 05:08 PM
My son got knocked out earlier this year, he wears them when learning new tricks.

I wear one most of the time, tired of popping ear drums.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-04-2010, 05:19 PM
My son always wears a helmet and a mouthguard. Now the big spills just knock a few of the cob webs loose, rather than ringing his bell.

bfinley
08-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Anyone else?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-04-2010, 10:53 PM
My son wears a Hyperlite Step-Up helmet.

willyt
08-04-2010, 11:27 PM
I wear a helmet at the cable park in Cincinnati (required... obviously). I've never ridden with one behind the boat. I think there's still some debate as to whether it actually helps or not (increases the surface area, thus reduces the time your head decelerates, thus increasing the deceleration force). I'm not a doctor though, and would be really interested in the definitive word

kgrove
08-05-2010, 01:22 AM
I wear them all the time and require everyone behind my boat to wear them as well.

I started after sending a rider to the emergency room with ruptured ear drum. The crash that caused the injury was very blah - just kind of fell over at medium speed but hit his ear just right (or wrong). I got more forceful about requiring them after talking with a couple advanced riders that related numerous instances being knocked unconscious and after taking a couple hard spills myself. If you have riders attempting difficult tricks and/or going at faster speeds, you have to question whether its worth it to let them go on your boat (and your insurance policy?) without a helmet.

I've heard the argument against helmets... the argument goes that it increases the likelihood of neck injury from the combination of increased weight and the "bucket effect" of the helmet catching the water. I've talked with a couple ER docs and asked around some wakeboarding professionals I've met (a magazine editors, a couple instructors, local boat dealers, etc.), and every one of them I've asked STRONGLY recommended helmets. I've never seen studies on it - doubt they exist - and I'm sure there are anecdotal examples of people being hurt because of, not despite, their helmet. There are examples of people being killed because they wore seatbelts too, but nobody argues that means they are bad. When every person in an apparent position of greater knowledge than me says wear a helmet and the only ones telling me helmets are bad are the ones with no more experience than me, I'm wearing a helmet.

Incidentally, I stock 3 sizes of Bern helmets on my boat. I've heard the Hyperlite helmet is manufactured by Bern, though not sure. I selected the ones I did in part because many of the helmets I looked at did not offer ear flaps. Concussion/head trauma may be the more dangerous element you are trying to prevent, but I bet ruptured ear drums are more frequent.

Jerseydave
08-05-2010, 04:59 AM
I wear a GATH helmet when I wakeboard and when I ride the foil. It's very light and comfortable, you hardly know it's there.
Once I took a bad fall after catching a heelside edge.....glad I had the helmet on!

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=52-10&Category_Code=&Store_Code=MS

deminimis
08-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Great thread. I've been wondering about a helmet too. I'm going to add one to my arsenal as I don't think I have many concussions left to burn (because of other sports).

Barefooter92
08-05-2010, 01:39 PM
I have been looking into this as well. I have seen helmets as cheap as $15-30. But I have decided to stick with barefooting as the wipeouts on wakeboarding are too much for these old bones!

73blue
08-05-2010, 01:59 PM
I've got a pro tech that I bought after a friends concussion. Dont wear it much anymore but have some friends that wont go without. If you are prone to concussions or learning new spins or other tricks where there is a high likelihood of catching that edge , wear it. It makes a difference (even as mine hypocritically gathers dust).

vision
08-05-2010, 07:05 PM
ProTec two-face. Very comfortable. I wear it to help keep the water out of my ears, but I have to admit my crashes are substantially less painful.

Barefooter92
08-10-2010, 01:20 PM
How many falls can one helmet take before it is worn out? I know a cycling helmet is a once and done deal.

Willski
08-10-2010, 01:57 PM
I've never worn one, but I also never wore a helmet snowskiing until last year. Seems like a good idea. I'm not a serious wakeboarder trying the big tricks, but that's probably not an excuse!

deminimis
08-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Helmets are great around the office too. When my trials helmet arrived at the office a while back, I called it my "magic helmet" and wore it around all day. People quit asking me questions all the time and pretty much avoided me. It worked great!

kingwoodlee
08-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Started using a helmet 1-1/2 years ago when I foil. I also wear a neck brace, and that is the smartest thing I ever did. On a side note, two weeks ago I was loading the foil into the boat from my last set, when a wave snuck up and I sort of slipped. I was carrying the sky ski upside down in my hands when this happened and the foil slammed me in the head. I guarantee if I had not had my helmet on, it would not have been pretty. The nearest ER would have taken at least an hour to get to. Of course, I'm 53 and don't have any vanity left on how I look when i'm skiing, so helmet it is.

flipper
08-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Helmets are great around the office too. When my trials helmet arrived at the office a while back, I called it my "magic helmet" and wore it around all day. People quit asking me questions all the time and pretty much avoided me. It worked great!
The one with the little propeller on the top?

Archimedes
08-10-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm getting one for my 11 year old son after what happened this past weekend. A friend of his took a hard fall behind our boat and took a board to the head. Gash, stitches, wasted afternoon, no fun. My son's already had two concussions from other sports, including a scary overnight at the pediatric neurosurgery unit at Stanford hospital. He's just started to try to get air and I've decided a helmet is a must, regardless of how it looks.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-10-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm getting one for my 11 year old son after what happened this past weekend. A friend of his took a hard fall behind our boat and took a board to the head. Gash, stitches, wasted afternoon, no fun. My son's already had two concussions from other sports, including a scary overnight at the pediatric neurosurgery unit at Stanford hospital. He's just started to try to get air and I've decided a helmet is a must, regardless of how it looks.

Don't forget the ear protection and a mouthguard.

ShamrockIV
08-10-2010, 06:39 PM
i wear one when i board. being military i cant take any chances. from what i have read the ears are easier to injure than ur head.

dummy
08-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Wife bought me a Protec after I got my bell rung hard last year. Failed an inverted trick and smacked the back of my head on the water hard enough to see stars. Haven't worn it yet. I know I should but I always just forget.

There's no shame in running safety gear.

Archimedes
08-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Don't forget the ear protection and a mouthguard.

Definately doing the ear protection. Hadn't thought about a mouthguard.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Definately doing the ear protection. Hadn't thought about a mouthguard.

Keeps your tongue in one piece and really helps avoid concussions. Plus they are cheap... $2 at Wally World.

gr82bgreen
08-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Wife bought me a Protec after I got my bell rung hard last year. Failed an inverted trick and smacked the back of my head on the water hard enough to see stars. Haven't worn it yet. I know I should but I always just forget.

There's no shame in running safety gear.

Are these helmets different than a protec bike helmet or are they water specific. We have all the bike helmets and wondering if they would work.

vision
08-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Are these helmets different than a protec bike helmet or are they water specific. We have all the bike helmets and wondering if they would work.

The main difference between my Protec wake helmet and bike helmet are that the wake helmet has a different foam (I assume to not hold water), a smoother shell surface (probably meaningless cosmetic issue), and ear flaps.

I would highly recommend a wake helmet with ear flaps.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Wakeboard helmets come down farther on the sides and back.

gr82bgreen
08-17-2010, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=vision;702716]The main difference between my Protec wake helmet and bike helmet are that the wake helmet has a different foam (I assume to not hold water), a smoother shell surface (probably meaningless cosmetic issue), and ear flaps.

I would highly recommend a wake helmet with ear flaps.
I will check that out, thanks

turn1andburn1
08-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Great thread guys! A helmet and mouthguard are on my next to purchace list for the boat.

Jeff d
08-17-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm going to wear my hockey helmet with face cage next time I go out for a backroll practice session. I've had two knee to head incidents on backrolls so far. One resulted in stitches on my chin and the other a broken nose.

I'll look a bit weird but it's better than going to the hospital:
http://www.baysideblades.com.au/inline_skating_pics/protective_skate_gear/helmets/Bauer/bauer_1000_hockey_combo.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
08-17-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm going to wear my hockey helmet with face cage next time I go out for a backroll practice session. I've had two knee to head incidents on backrolls so far. One resulted in stitches on my chin and the other a broken nose.

http://www.baysideblades.com.au/inline_skating_pics/protective_skate_gear/helmets/Bauer/bauer_1000_hockey_combo.jpg

Good time to have the cage rather than the shield.

deminimis
08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Jeff, bring a chainsaw along and you'll have the lake all to yourself.

vision
08-17-2010, 03:34 PM

On the bright side, you are still flexible enough to hit your head with your knees....

harddock
08-26-2010, 02:17 PM
My kids compete in the INT League, and they require wearing one.

turn1andburn1
08-26-2010, 02:43 PM
I seen a Jobe helmet yesterday with the ear guards for $70.00cdn. Was going to pick it up, but had just spent a large sum of $$ for winterizing products, oils, fog and so on for two boats, haha. Next year though, thats the first thing im picking up for the boat.