PDA

View Full Version : Prop loose

lazerhawk
08-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Last night I had a little nighttime mishap and ran my 96' Prostar LT-1 (powerslot) into some shallow mud/reeds. There wasn't a big impact since I was idling - I just noticed that the boat quickly slowed down.

Anyhow, I was checking out the prop, which is fine, but what worried me is that the prop has a few mm of free play in it before the prop-shaft moves. Is this normal? I'm not sure if the shaft is splined or keyed. Thanks.

east tx skier
08-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Your shaft is keyed. I would remove the prop and inspect the key and keyway.

lazerhawk
08-04-2010, 04:19 AM
Done deal. The prop nut was just loose (motorcycle guy flailing to learn about boats.) That will be my idiot question for the year, or at least today. Thanks for the help.

east tx skier
08-04-2010, 12:36 PM
If it is a nylock nut, you might consider getting a new one. After removing my old nylock nut a time or two, I had the unfortunate experience of having it back off on me. Make sure your cotter pin is in good shape.

jconover
08-04-2010, 12:53 PM
I was wondering if that was the case with Nylocks... I just ordered one, I have a rusty old nut on the end of my prop right now... PO was a real tool :-)

east tx skier
08-04-2010, 04:26 PM
If it's rusty, it's not what you want. Someone posted a link to McMaster-Carr where you could get the brass nylock nut for a buck or two.

hkallestad
08-04-2010, 04:45 PM
I believe I've read on the forum here that a cotter pin is not necessary with a new fresh nylock.

east tx skier
08-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I believe I've read on the forum here that a cotter pin is not necessary with a new fresh nylock.

But why not use one. Beats diving for a prop if it backs off for whatever reason. My cotter pin was what saved my prop when my nylock backed of on my 205.

jconover
08-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Yeah I ordered a nylock with my last order from skidim. it should be here tomorrow along with my driveshaft packing