PDA

View Full Version : Overfilled Oil?

harv559
08-03-2010, 06:32 PM
I just changed the oil on late 81 S&S 351. Whoops I put in the whole 5.25 jug! Should I take some out? I have the oil change kit tube at the bottom which takes up some of the 4+1 qts recommended. I do burn some oil. On the dipstick it doesnt look too far over. Would this cause an overheating engine? That was my most recent problem at the lake after the tune up?

etduc
08-03-2010, 07:05 PM
I just changed the oil on late 81 S&S 351. Whoops I put in the whole 5.25 jug! Should I take some out? I have the oil change kit tube at the bottom which takes up some of the 4+1 qts recommended. I do burn some oil. On the dipstick it doesnt look too far over. Would this cause an overheating engine? That was my most recent problem at the lake after the tune up?

No, your fine. Next time you change your oil. Check how much, actually comes out.
I once drained 7 quarts out of my old Tristar.

oldairboater
08-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Not a problem ---but not a good habit.

kkkeating
08-03-2010, 10:27 PM
A little overfill is fine, but you don’t want to overfill to the point where the oil level reaches the crankshaft. If it reaches the crankshaft it’ll beat the oil into froth and this oil/air mixture won’t provide enough lubrication.

93Prostar190
08-03-2010, 10:31 PM
A little is ok but like it is said ... if you overfill too much, then the crank will be turning your oil into a milk shake.

You should be fine with the amount you mentioned .... no worries.