PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally put boat in reverse at speed.

vdpsc
08-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Title says it. 2008 Prostar. Wifes cover up started to blow out of the boat. She did at least slow down. Probably going 15 to 20 mph and put it in reverse. Big thud, not surprising. Engine shut down. Started right back up and everything seems fine. Is there anything I should give a quick check? Is there a switch that shuts the engine down in this situation or was it the rapid shift from forward to reverse gears that stalled it?

kkkeating
08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I hate to admit it, but I've done this more than once. I was told to control the lever with just the finger tips as opposed to a full hand grip of the lever, but sometimes things happen fast and you need to react as soon as possible. I've had no damage when this has happened, but it'll interesting to see what others have to say.

dmminfla
08-03-2010, 05:03 PM
If the tranny is still working you should be happy. On my old 86 with the velvet drive my father was driving up to the dock and slammed it into reverse and it snapped the reverse clutch plates and took out all the springs.

I tell everyone who drives my boat that you cannot shift out out neutral unless you are at idle. Put the boat in gear then advance the throtle.

vdpsc
08-03-2010, 05:10 PM
I will probably take it out tonight and see how it goes. No problems getting back last night. Reverse worked when I put it in the lift.

rholmes
08-03-2010, 05:34 PM
I've done this before with no ill effects. No, I'm not a mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

oldairboater
08-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Not a good practice but sounds like you got away with it this time.

tex
08-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I've driven many a MC tough in a show...amazing what the tranny will go through...Maybe they should get their Tranny people to build their fuel pumps/skins. Just trying to make MC laugh!

WTRSK1R
08-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Chances are you are ok. The transmission is basically hydrostatic and uses the flow of hydraulic fluid to make the prop shaft turn. When you slam it in reverse, you are really only flipping a valve that changes the direction of the hydraulic fluid, there are no real gears to grind like a car would if you put it in reverse. The sudden change in direction probably put enough of a load surge on the motor that it caused it to stall. There are plates in the where the flywheel and the transmission connect, but it is not exactly the same as what you would think of as a clutch. I am not saying it is something you want to do frequently, but I would bet that it will have no long term effect if you do not repeat it often.

But then again, I am not a mechanic, just an obsessed boater.