PDA

View Full Version : What would you get?

6ballsisall
07-05-2005, 04:46 PM
My 04' Durango may be soon bought back under Lemon Law. Trying to decide what to buy in it's place. The way I read the remedies I can either get another Dodge product or walk and buy something else. I can't make up my mind what to get. I go back and forth between an SUV and a 1/2 ton truck. I don't want to spend more than $32k out the door and want something powerful enough to pull the boat and potentially a small trailer in a couple years (not at the same time) Want something with plenty of room for the baby and all the stuff associated and carry our two large dogs. Should I go with another Durango/Durango sized SUV or a truck? Help me make up my mind!

NatesGr8
07-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Nissan Titan all the way baby. :toast:

ski_king
07-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I like the Trailblaser/Envoy/Ranier line of SUV's. I have heard good things about the straight 6 for towing.
This is coming from somebody that is biased towards Fords.

Tennesseeski
07-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I think a SUV has more room than a truck and all your stuff will stay dry(unlike the stuff in a truck bed). I would say go with a CHEVY but I am partial to them. I have a tahoe and buddie has a 1/2 ton truck and both seem to pull anything no problem. The 1/2 ton truck has all four doors that open all the way out. With his two kids he says that is the only way to go on a truck. :twocents:

Cloaked
07-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Should I go with another Durango/Durango sized SUV ...? Right!

Get a vehicle not a Dodge.

Chevy 1500 4 door for yEr budget.

Currently, I have the 4 door GMC 2500HD Duramax plant. Done deal.

But another Dodge that bit you once already??? C'monnnnn?? :confused: ;)

AirJunky
07-05-2005, 05:16 PM
After having trans problems with a full size 94 Bronco & just wanting OUT of my wife's $700/mo. Escalade payments, then having multiple problems with a Tahoe (radiator, water pump, & alternator in a year), I've had really good luck with my '98 Durango. Towing, around town, etc. it seems to do it all & I've had very few problems with it in just over 70k miles.
I'm curious what happened with the Durango.

6ballsisall
07-05-2005, 05:40 PM
I'm curious what happened with the Durango.[/QUOTE]

It's all fit and finish work. It has been in the shop 4 times for a god awful squeking and rattle coming from the back of the vehicle. It is gotten worse over time. I originally thought it was coming from the receiver but that's not it. Dealerships have seem to given up on fixing it, they all agree there is a problem but are scratching their head as to how to fix it.
I wouldn't mind another Cummins but really don't need it nor want the extra cost.

BriEOD
07-05-2005, 05:48 PM
My wife is driving an 04' Eddie Bauer Ford Expedition with the 5.4L Triton, DVD, Leather, Tow package. This is definitely in your price range. You won't even know the boat is back there. It's got plenty of room for a baby and assorted stuff. We have had 0 problems with it. I liked the look of the Tahoes a little better and the fact that they have 4 captains chairs and a fold down rear seat vs. Fords two bench seats, but they wants $10K more for a Tahoe with the same bells and whistles. Plus, Ford gave us a $1K military discount - GM laughed at me.

Jeff I vote for an SUV. Trust me on this (Cody is 10 months) you're going to be hauling the baby, a car seat, a stroller, a diaper bag, a bottle bag, etc, etc. A truck is great, but unless you get a camper cover what happens when it rains? Babies don't do well in wet strollers.

east tx skier
07-05-2005, 05:49 PM
I have no brand bias. Just got an 01 Expedition last year. It pulls the boat well and has plenty of room. Leather, CD, etc. It had a few miles on it, but I drive cars until the wheels fall off so that's not a concern for me. It looked brand spankin' new and checked out well with the mechanic. I took it home for half of what you're looking to spend. Not a single problem with it a year later (knock wood).

6ballsisall
07-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Bri, good point I really like the Expeditions and almost bought that over my Durango. Very nice ride!
If I get a truck I would definetely get a topper, the dogs would ride back there in lieu of in the cargo area of a SUV

LakePirate
07-05-2005, 06:08 PM
I am a big fan of my Avalanche, the tonneu covers work like a champ. Mine leak a bit now but I am always taking them off and hauling stuff. It pulls the boat with zero problems.

betsy&david Harrison
07-05-2005, 06:47 PM
My 04' Durango may be soon bought back under Lemon Law. Trying to decide what to buy in it's place. The way I read the remedies I can either get another Dodge product or walk and buy something else. I can't make up my mind what to get. I go back and forth between an SUV and a 1/2 ton truck. I don't want to spend more than $32k out the door and want something powerful enough to pull the boat and potentially a small trailer in a couple years (not at the same time) Want something with plenty of room for the baby and all the stuff associated and carry our two large dogs. Should I go with another Durango/Durango sized SUV or a truck? Help me make up my mind!
For 25 G we purchased a Dodge 3/4 Ton, 4 Door. We had it set up for a camper...good sized one, and it will pull the boat. Lots of power with the HEMI and there is room for 6. Just my :twocents: but we love it. B

Footin
07-05-2005, 07:01 PM
I have been happy with our Trailblazer. It tows very well, lots of torque.

Mag_Red
07-05-2005, 07:34 PM
FX4 Super Crew Cab.................nuff said! :D

bcampbe7
07-05-2005, 08:41 PM
FX4 Super Crew Cab.................nuff said! :D

For $32K out the door?!?

I like the GMC Yukon or Chevy Tahoe myself. If you have the room you could look at the Yukon XL with bucket seats in the middle row. There is a 2002 Yukon Denali with 37K miles in town for $27500. It looks very nice.

MarkP
07-06-2005, 12:10 AM
From a hard core Ford man, I say go with the Yukon XL!! Solid pull, and smooth as silk.

But seriously, donít listen to me. I just Thursday, took delivery of an new 04. Bought it with about 40 mi on it and it has almost 400 on it now. From what I can tell in 350 miles (maybe 100 pulling the boat) its going to work out fine..

Mag_Red
07-06-2005, 12:20 AM
For $32K out the door?!?

OK........plus tax! Let's just say I know people :D

SteveO
07-06-2005, 12:28 AM
V8 Toyota 4 Runner. Reliable, dependable and kicka$$ resale. Thought I needed to throw some fuel on the domestic fire.

Utahfoiler
07-06-2005, 12:39 AM
Go with the Nissan Armada. Slighy bigger than the expedition and great towing capacity, and better gas mileage.

Leroy
07-06-2005, 12:48 AM
You could get a 3-4 year old Lexus LX470 for that money. Toyota quality, Lexus bells and whistles and they run forever.

Basic principle of fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. DOn't go with the same brand that you have a lemon on.

6ballsisall
07-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I outta know more tommorrow about my options once I talk to this lemon law attorney. I just need to fiqure out how to get this all completed., I really like the Durango but the squeak is enough to drive you insane!
I gotta say, gulp.... I really like the 05 Tacoma, I think it would fit the bill nicely, it's larger than the Dakota and has the reliability of Toyota. Who knows!! I do like them Dodges though! The new F150's are sweet! I am just not a GM guy, their whole lineup just doesn't do it for me except the Avalanche, and unfortunately the interior is not for me. So we'll see!

Larryp
07-06-2005, 12:52 AM
In my previous dealings with lemon law we did not pay pay off the note, we paid at fair market value. Are you getting pay off or are going to be stuck holding difference.

Hoosier Bob
07-06-2005, 12:55 AM
Your boat is very much the same as mine and we don't need that much to tow. GM has some awesome incentives. Toyota has some awesome resale and you have $32k to blow. I do like the Toyota certified vehicles. I myself love to motocross and the vehicle I have had my eye on is that Honda Ridgeline. If you must go big three (GM, Ford, Toyota (not Chrysler)) then look into the deals GM is offering. They are somewhat desperate and will make any deal work. I provide financing for 60 or so dealers in central Indiana.

6ballsisall
07-06-2005, 01:01 AM
In my previous dealings with lemon law we did not pay pay off the note, we paid at fair market value. Are you getting pay off or are going to be stuck holding difference.

Thats what I am not sure of just yet. I live in Indiana but we bought the vehicle in Ohio. It sounds as though we could file in either state based on that. So in the end whatever state is more lucrative for us, that's what we will do.

east tx skier
07-06-2005, 11:30 AM
From a hard core Ford man, I say go with the Yukon XL!! Solid pull, and smooth as silk.

But seriously, donít listen to me. I just Thursday, took delivery of an new 04. Bought it with about 40 mi on it and it has almost 400 on it now. From what I can tell in 350 miles (maybe 100 pulling the boat) its going to work out fine..

So did you kick the Exploder to the curb?

BriEOD
07-06-2005, 11:34 AM
He said he did Doug. Sounds like he got a sweet deal to.

jsonova99
07-06-2005, 11:43 AM
I like the Trailblaser/Envoy/Ranier line of SUV's. I have heard good things about the straight 6 for towing.
This is coming from somebody that is biased towards Fords.

my neighbor had one of these taken back on a lemon law, it was kind of junky. It always stalled at red lights.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-06-2005, 12:09 PM
I would suggest a Yukon and it should fit the 32K range without filling it with ALL the toys. I know you said you are not a GM person, why not? Have you had more trouble with GM than the lemon Dodge you are getting rid of? :confused:
I would suggest a Ford powerstroke'd rig, but you would be alot more than 32K.
I have heard dodge is coming out with a crew cab and a half, that should be very interesting but again more than the 32K.

Granite_33
07-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Just my :twocents:

SUV's
Toyota Sequoia.
Nissan Armada.
I am biased, yes.

Also, my brother has an F150 Crew with a cap. It holds all three of his kids in the back seat very nicely. Pulls well too, he has a 22' Ski Centurion Elite V that he pulls up through the hills of CA with never a problem. Either way, a crew cab is a must if you go the truck route.

MarkP
07-06-2005, 12:40 PM
So did you kick the Exploder to the curb?
Yes sir Doug!! Wasnít sure if the rear end parts would be in by vacation. For that matter, wasnít sure the Explorer would have made it to its destination after repaired.

The new one even has the 18Ē Mastercraft sticker on the back window already. :steering:

captkidd
07-06-2005, 12:41 PM
I think it depends on what you plan to do with it, other than just tow the boat. I also use my pickup to haul all kinds of stuff, especially for yard work, occasionally furniture, lumber, etc. You can do some of that with an SUV, especially if you have a trailer, but it's a pain to drag a trailer along (I know because I had to do that when I was between trucks).

If you never haul anything other than the kids and the groceries, then an SUV probably makes more sense. I compromise because I have a tonneau cover (came with the truck) that I use when camping or hauling things I want to keep dry; I would much prefer a camper shell/cover, but $$$. With a camper shell, you have the versatility of a truck and much more (dry) cargo capacity than an SUV.

If it were my $32K (which it definitely isn't), I would buy a used 4-door low-mileage diesel pickup. You can get any of the big 3 for less than $32K, depending on mileage (for a diesel, 75K is low mileage). For half-tons, I personally prefer the Dodge 4-door, probably without the Hemi because gas prices don't seem to be coming down any; I read in the paper that Chrysler is also going to start offering their vehicles at employee discount prices starting this week. Even though I like Fords too, I don't like the fact that you can only get a 5 ft. bed on their 4-door half-ton trucks.

That's probably more like 3 cents worth (I don't post as often, so I tend to be long-winded).

AirJunky
07-06-2005, 01:17 PM
I compromise because I have a tonneau cover (came with the truck) that I use when camping or hauling things I want to keep dry; I would much prefer a camper shell/cover, but $$$. With a camper shell, you have the versatility of a truck and much more (dry) cargo capacity than an SUV.
Had a fiberglass tonneau when I bought my Dakota. What a waste. I couldn't even get a dining room chair under it. I found a guy who traded me a glass canopy plus $100 for it. Best move I've made in a while. Only issue I have with it is it isn't very easy to get off the truck by myself. I need to rig something in the garage where I can hoist it off the truck & leave it hanging there & just drive the truck out from under it.

BriEOD
07-06-2005, 01:47 PM
I would buy a used 4-door low-mileage diesel pickup.

Out of curiosity why Diesel?

bcampbe7
07-06-2005, 02:22 PM
FYI:
I heard that Ford may be following GM's employee pricing incentive soon. Could be rumor though.

EDIT:
Dodge is getting on the band wagon as well.

captkidd
07-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Diesel: incredible towing power, longevity (300K miles easy), and economy (18-19 mpg vs 13-14, even while towing). They were even more economical before the price of diesel fuel went up so much.

My cover is a snap-on vinyl version. It came with the truck, and I would never buy one like it, but it has come in handy a few times. For a few hundred more $ you can buy a nice fiberglass camper shell, which is much more versatile.

My Dad rigged a neat outfit for removing/storing his camper shell (back when they were aluminum and weighed a lot more). He put a small eyebolt in each corner of the shell (on the outside), and then ran some small chains up to the roof of the garage. He put snap hooks on the ends of each chain, so all he had to do was back up under the chains, lift the shell enough to hook them to the eyebolts, and then pull out from under it. I think that those pulley devices that you hang bikes from the roof of your garage would work better, as you could use them to actually lift the cover off the truck, and you could store it up out of the way.

Bobby
07-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Dude, just save yourself a bunch of money and get a mid-late 80's Chevy Blazer K5, buy a soft top for it and you'll have an open air truck that's built like a tank and will pull a boat just fine on the highway. Then with the money you saved you can go get whatever you want without worrying if it will pull the boat.

BriEOD
07-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Bobby, that's a no go. He needs something with a warranty, reliable and A/C. He's going to have a baby and I'm sure momma won't go for that. Give it a few years and you'll find out first hand my friend. ;)

AirJunky
07-06-2005, 05:00 PM
FYI:
I heard that Ford may be following GM's employee pricing incentive soon. Could be rumor though.

EDIT:
Anyone ever talk to a real employee of any of the big 3? I'd be a little pissed off about this. But frankly I wonder if it's the same discount anyway.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Out of curiosity why Diesel?
It will rip the tongue out of your trailer if you wanted it to, and still get 15\16 mpg. That is the only way to go for towing, but new they are alot more than 32K.

parks_jr_55
07-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Dodge Link (www-5.dodge.com/incentives/Startup.jam?Brand=Dodge&SalesMarket=U&language=en&ModelYear=&Model=brand)

Ford Link (http://www.ford.com/en/default.htm)

Bobby
07-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Bobby, that's a no go. He needs something with a warranty, reliable and A/C. He's going to have a baby and I'm sure momma won't go for that. Give it a few years and you'll find out first hand my friend. ;)

Oh, I didn't read through it to know all of that. :o

But, my K5 is reliable and has AC, just no warranty. :steering:

zberger
07-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Nissan Titan or Armada..

Awesome vehicles!

east tx skier
07-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Dude, just save yourself a bunch of money and get a mid-late 80's Chevy Blazer K5, buy a soft top for it and you'll have an open air truck that's built like a tank and will pull a boat just fine on the highway. Then with the money you saved you can go get whatever you want without worrying if it will pull the boat.

Used to be my philosophy when I had my trusty Jeep Grand Wagoneer. After a few years of paying to fix something every month, I realized that it was less expensive to buy a 3 year old Expedition.

It's his money, and this is just one guy's opinion, but unless I remember where I planted that money tree, I can't see myself buying a brand new car ever again. Along the same line of thinking as Bobby, even at only 3 years old, you'll still save yourself a ton of money.

6ballsisall
07-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Thanks for all the advice all! I still haven't made up my mind, sounds like I might have some time. Apparently these things take some time to put together. Talked to an attorney today who is going to facilitate it all (it's worth the time and $$ to me) we'll see how it goes!

To answer the question about what do I have against GM products. Nothing really, I am sure they make a fine vehicle, I had a 96' blazer years back that was a good vehicle. However, I just don't care for their interiors all that much. Not trying to start a brand war, just my humble opinion.

The vehicle will be 99% used for work (to and from office and market visits in the region with my offices) and the every weekend trip to Lowes (I thought home ownership was suppose to be a good thing :rolleyes: ) In all practicality a car would make the most sense as the wife has a 04 Jeep GC w V8 that towes the boat more than fine. I just can't seem to get into driving cars though.

JEREMY79
07-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Cars suck dude. Get a BIG TRUCK.

WilliamsFamLV
07-07-2005, 12:48 AM
Does job pay for gas? Some do! I bought a 94 Suburban in 96 for a fair price. This vehicle has been invaluable to us with two small boys at the time. We have had 8 people for a trip with all luggage, no problem. All of my "rich" friends with their Mercedes in the garage have borrowed my vehicle for vacations. Now in 05 it is used primarily for taking the boat to the lake, usually with 6+ people. I am about to buy a 01 Suburban (I think) because I am getting "older" and like my comfort a little more. A few more bucks for gas verses the comfort is no contest in my opinion. As the kids got older (now 15 and 16) they ALWAYS had/have someone with them when we go somewhere with no problem. All I am saying is do NOT undersize, especially if your kids are young. Obviously you enjoy doing things with family and friends and these (friends and family) will expand as the kids (and you) get older. Good luck on your descision. ;) : ;)

BriEOD
07-07-2005, 09:01 AM
FYI:

EDIT:

After I read this I checked it out. GM, Ford and Chyrsler are all giving employee rates for vehicles until Aug 1. Check out their websites for details. Apparently last month GM sales were the highest they've been in 19 years. Ford is throwing everything but the kitchen sink at you: employee price, Home Depot package, 0% financing (36 mo term). It's a good time to buy a vehicle.

parks_jr_55
07-07-2005, 12:54 PM
I just pulled out the consumer reports and looked at some of the ratings

As far as SUV's go

Mid-sized:
1. Lexus RX330
2. Honda Pilot
3. Toyota Highlander
4. Toyota 4Runner
5. Acura MDX

those 5 got good ratings not in Ranked order

Full sized:
1. Toyota Land Cruiser
2. Nissan Armada
3. Toyota Sequoia
4. Ford Expedition
5. Dodge Durango
6. Chevy Tahoe
7. GMC Yukon

That is the order listed by CR. Looks like the Sequoia came in with the best rankings.

For trucks the Toyota Tundra has great ratings.

The one truck I would stay away from is the Dodge Ram.
The one truck I really like is the Toyota Tacoma.

My brother had an 02 Ram 1500 Sport. It was a cool looking truck but it got the worst gas mileage of anything in the cars/trucks category and it depreciated in value quite a bit.

Since there is need for us to have a huge truck (for the two times a year we tow the boat my dad has a suburban) my brother got an 04 Tacoma. My dad wanted an 05 (new body style) but it would take a while to get one so he just went with the 04. The 05 is one of the best sellers right now and are rated high.

3event
07-07-2005, 01:38 PM
If you want a towing vehicle, we have been VERY impressed with my Dad's new '05 Toyota Tundra crew cab 4x4. He had a '99 before this, very solid vehicles. Nice ride, quick off the line, impeccable fit and finish, very roomy - the crew cab has enough room for my 6'4" frame to comfortably sit in the back seat. Tows the PS197 like nobody's business. And it seems to me that pricing on the pickup trucks is reasonable compared to SUVs.

My boat sits at the family cottage so we don't tow much. My wife's '03 Explorer was her choice before we got married and I am not a huge fan of it , but it does the job.

As of yesterday, Ford and Chrysler announced they are joining the employee discount bandwagon thru end July so if you're inclined to go domestic, now's a good time. You can get the fully priced vehicle online from GM sites.

have at it!

parks_jr_55
07-07-2005, 01:51 PM
I agree with you 3event about the Toyotas.

The Tacoma and Tundra both are good trucks. They will also hold their value alot better than a Ford, Dodge or Chevy.

If it were me getting the new one I would get either a 4Runner Tacoma or Tundra depending if you want an SUV or a medium size truck or full size truck.

milkmania
10-14-2005, 03:52 PM

I just found this, and thoguht I'd bring it back to the top:headbang:

I was in the Dodge Dealership last week, and he had an 05 Extended cab 2500 with Cummings that would get me out the door for $33,000 after employee sales & rebate stuff.....down from OVER $42,000 sticker price

erkoehler
10-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Accordding to the lemon law thread started by JR he is not in the market for another Dodge anymore. :rolleyes:

milkmania
10-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Accordding to the lemon law thread started by JR he is not in the market for another Dodge anymore. :rolleyes:

that's why I quoted his post

cuz that first post said he was unsure:D

erkoehler
10-14-2005, 04:26 PM
opps, sorry. I would say he is smart not buying another Dodge. This will also be the last one that I own. :mad:

milkmania
10-14-2005, 04:35 PM
opps, sorry. I would say he is smart not buying another Dodge. This will also be the last one that I own. :mad:

hmmm, now you guys are really starting to worry me...
is it Dodge that's the problem.... or the Durango line of thier product?

we have already gone through a set of brake pads on his truck that seems to be a bit premature.

oh yeah, take note....
285/50/22 Goodyear Eagle GTII's are not rated much over 36,000 miles:rant:

captkidd
10-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Could your oversized tires and wheels be contributing to the excessive brake wear?