PDA

View Full Version : Boat Electrical Problems

paschals@sml
08-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Can someone please help me!! To start last week we were out on the boat and everything was fine until.. I shut the boat down to switch skiers and then it would not restart I got towed back to the dock. I saw I had low voltage so I removed the alternater and had it tested, it was bad so I replaced it and recharged the battery. Next when I tried to start the boat the starter would not disengage, I know so I replaced the solinoid,still i got nothing so I replaced the ignition switch. Then......I started to get a high pitched alarm under the dash and I have no spark at all so I replaced the coil and this is ........where I am now.
1.Still have high pitched alarm under dash
2.All accessories work without key in ignition
3.Engine will turn over but will not start
4.No spark
I know its probably something simple but I do not want to take it to the shop because there is at least a 2 week backlog Please Help Thanks.......

Napagary
08-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Welcome to the site. For openers, tell us what yr mfg boat., what motor, carb or fuel inj? You replaced the solinoid - where did you purchase it? There is an internal difference between the marine style and auto style, they look identical on the outside, terminals and all. The starter not disengaging is sure a PITA. I'm sure others will chime in here.

milehigh970
08-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Are you sure the battery is fully charged and not dropping a cell? I have heard of low voltage causing relays to stick on start up... just thrown it out there

paschals@sml
08-02-2010, 02:25 PM
The starter isn't sticking anymore I just can't shut the alarm nor get any fire by the way the boat is a 1988 prostar with a 351 thanks for the help so far

Matt L.
08-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Please post details on your ignition setup. Start simple. Battery, Distributor cap, rotor, chase voltage up to the coil. Do you have any park at the cap?

Later,

Matt

paschals@sml
08-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks Matt,
I have some spark at the cap but not at the plugs. The one thing I dont understan is why now do all my accessories work w/out the key in the ignition and my overheat alarm is on all the time oh i almost forgot my tach stopped working as well

JimN
08-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Check your ignition switch, all of your ground connections and if any of you r harness got wet, look at EVERY connection under the dash and on the motor. There aren't that many, so it won't take too long. Do a wiggle test on all wires.

oldairboater
08-02-2010, 08:54 PM
You need to start at everything you have done and replaced. I would suspect you wired something wrong when you were doing that mad parts change out. If you get the grounds switched under the dash on things the alarm will go nuts. I know because I misplaced two wires on that side of the instrument panel when reinstalling my gauges. If you crossed wires around the ignition switch things will happen. Not to sound like a lecture but you swapped parts without fixing anything right.

paschals@sml
08-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Update.... I just spoke with the dealer and he says that the alternator I replaced was the wrong style it seems I was duped by the other parts store I will let you know more when the replacement arrived

JimN
08-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Update.... I just spoke with the dealer and he says that the alternator I replaced was the wrong style it seems I was duped by the other parts store I will let you know more when the replacement arrived

I don't know why anyone would replace their alternator unless they need higher current and even then, if what they need doesn't exceed what that case style can deliver, there's no need to replace it. Rebuilding is less expensive and it assures that there will be no mis-match.

paschals@sml
08-04-2010, 10:29 PM
I was dealing with a time frame at the time I work overseas and only have limited time at home on r&r

pole
07-29-2011, 01:53 AM
I have 1987 tristar 351 when trying to start the starter stays engaged please help

oldairboater
07-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Go to your post in general discussion.I have 1987 tristar 351 when trying to start the starter stays engaged please help

LYNRDSKYNRD
07-29-2011, 08:36 AM
If you get nothing no fire at all check the ground going to your block. I was fake a making mine a couple of weeks ago it turned over strong twice then NOTHING it was the main ground going from my battery to the engine block....87 pro star.