PDA

View Full Version : Boating accident.

CantRepeat
08-02-2010, 08:32 AM
http://www2.oanow.com/news/2010/jul/31/boat-accident-lake-harding-injures-two-ar-645365/

http://www.wltz.com/news/alabama/Lee-Co-Sheriffs-Office-investigates-boating-incident-99617684.html

It seems they were new to boating and ran into a piller on the "long bridge" on Lake Harding.

TLR67
08-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Thats not a ski boat...

ahhudgins
08-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Thats not a ski boat...

To the news media, any thing that you can attach a rope to is a "ski boat". Just like any accident involving an evil SUV, the media reports that the boat collided with the pillar, not that the driver drove it into the pillar.

I hope they both are alright.

TLR67
08-02-2010, 09:54 AM
By the looks of the boat it looks like he was going straight into it then turned at the last moment. I hope they are OK as well....

CantRepeat
08-02-2010, 10:08 AM
The only reason I knew about this is both of them are in the same ICU as my mother-in-law. My wife came home and told me about them so I did a search.

The young Soldier is pretty bad off with a brain injury, but was told he opened his eyes for the first time since the accident last night. His wife is doing better.

From the video and pictures it looks like the driver side was hit the hardest which explains his injuries.

He's only been home from Afghanistan a few weeks and I'm told the boat was new and their first.

Truly a tragic story.

markismm
08-02-2010, 10:11 AM
While this certainly is a potentially tragic situation and I hate to be critical of folks like this, I have been frequenting Lake Harding all my life. To get to Kokomo's (what used to be known as The Landing) you have to pass under the long bridge on your way. When you pass under it, there are clearly 8 or so "Slow - No Wake" buoys across the front and back side of the bridge. I cannot imagine that these folks did not see these buoys on the way into to Kokomos. If they did, then they should not have taken off under full throttle when they were leaving to go back out. Simply heeding the buoys warnings would have allowed them to avoid this situation. If you are new to boating, as these people may have been, then you should not be out on the water at a time that you cannot see well until you are familiar with your surroundings. Just me two cents on my soap box.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Another tragic situation that, from the sounds of it, was completely unnecessary. My heart goes out to all involved and hope for a speedy and full recovery.

CantRepeat
08-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Well, some good news now. The wife has been moved out of ICU. My wife saw her down in her husbands room yesterday so she is doing better.

@Mark, we've both been boating on Lake Harding for a very long time. The long bridge is well known nav point and I couldn't agree more. Being in unfamiliar waters at night is never a good thing and even worse at full speed ahead. It's pretty tragic when a young family, new to boating, ends up in a news article like this.

CantRepeat
08-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Sadly, the young Soldier passed today.

TX.X-30 fan
08-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I like cristina's accent..................

Sad, looks like they forgot about the bridge.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-04-2010, 11:00 PM
What a terrible thing to happen. My sympathies go out to all involved.