PDA

View Full Version : Installed a Battery Isolator, having problems

bfinley
08-01-2010, 10:52 PM
I just put in a second battery and a battery isolater in my 2006 X2. I used the Blue Seas 7610 shown here: http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/overview/387

I used the stereo all day, after dinner at a restaurant on the lake, my stereo battery was dead. Everything is fine now that I charged it with a battery charger. I think the isolator kept the batteries seperate appropriately, but it isn't allowing the alternator to charge the scond battery. What did I do wrong?

brettmess24
08-01-2010, 11:10 PM
I believe if the second battery is that drained it will keep it separated from the house battery so it doesn't drain it while under charge. When the batteries are connected in series they want to be at an equal charge. So your acr worked perfectly IMHO.

bfinley
08-01-2010, 11:32 PM
I should have mentioned, after finding out the battery was dead, we used the boat for a couple hours wakeboarding, etc. Shouldn't have that re-charged my second battery?

falconjeter
08-02-2010, 12:10 AM
yes, that should have charged it, put a volt meter on the second battery and compare the reading to the first battery with the boat running. anytime the boat is running both batteries should be charging and the voltage should be close to the same. maybe 13 to 14.2 volts.

Relay Contact Position: Combine (30 sec.) 13.6 Volts@12 Volt
27.2 Volts@24 Volt
Relay Contact Position: Combine (2 min.) 13.0 Volts@12 Volt
26.0 Volts@ 24 Volt

so after 30 seconds with 13.6 volts applied the batteries should combine and charge both, or after 2 minutes at 13.0 volts. so check to see that your alternator is charging at at least that voltage.

robin
08-02-2010, 02:01 PM
i just installed a blue seas 7610 this summer. this is my experience with it:

when i have drained the house battery to 0% or near 0%, when the boat is then started, the acr will close the circuit for a minute, which will drop the voltage, and then the acr will open. it will eventually stay closed (if the stereo is off or very low)...i installed the remote LED on the dash to moniter it. if the battery is very low, and i turn on the stereo system and the volume is low, it will stay closed. if i crank it, it will sense the big draw on the drained battery and open it (low voltage). i have an old, big, thirsty for power amplifier, and a 1999 with only a 51 amp alternator, so it can have a hard time keeping up with the stereo, unless the rpm is constantly above 2000, even then it has to run an extended period of time w/o the stereo on to charge it up all the way.
this winter, i amp planning on replacing the amp with a new class D amp (a lot less draw) and add an on board charger to plug in at night.