PDA

View Full Version : amp comparison

robin
08-01-2010, 03:56 PM
i am looking to get a new amplifier. i am currently running an 8 yr old planet audio pa6005 five channel amp. its pluses are it sounds good and has been mostly trouble free. its minuses are, its big, heavy, doesnt like the heat, and is THIRSTY for power. its been a hot summer in NE indiana, and this bad boy has had several thermal shutdowns.

im looking at the following 2 amps for upgrade and and wondering if anyone has had any experience with them:

JL audio M600/6
Alpine pdx-5m

i am looking at these because they are both 5 channel (the jl is actually 6) like my old one, and are class D amps, so they are very small, run very cool, and use a fraction of the juice the old one does. any reviews appreciated!
thanks,robin

bfinley
08-01-2010, 10:56 PM
I just put in the JL M600/6. It's powering 4 in boat speakers and 2 tower speakers. It sounds great!

D3skier
08-01-2010, 11:49 PM
here's another amp you might want to consider as well. I have the ZRS series in my boat to power my wet sounds speakers and have actually submerged it a few times and still works like a champ. They even said if it broke due to being submerged they'd still cover it under warranty
ZRS-C8 Class AB Competition 5-Channel Amp
http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=120&idproduct=607

mtajpa
09-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Looking to add 2 more speakers inside cockpit. Presently have 4 polk 651 speakers 2 in the bow and 2 in the side panels towards the rear. Also have two empty speaker holes just inside the windshield on top of the dash were the walk thru is. Alpine CDA 9886M for a head unit and no amp.

Looking at getting this amp to drive the 6 interior speakers and maybe someday add two tower speakers. Pyle PLMR-A620 6 Channel 2000-Watt Waterproof Marine Amplifier 4 100-Watt Channels + 2 250-Watt Channels.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=5251

Any comments or suggestions?

east tx skier
09-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Have had good luck with my infinity 5 channel amp. If size is your concern, alpine may be a better bet though.