PDA

View Full Version : cavitation or tranny slipping?

causewayskiier
07-05-2005, 03:59 PM
I have a PS205 with Perfect Pass speed control. Often when I make a tight right hand turn, it feels like my boat is cavitating. My buddy things that the tranny is slipping yet my fluid level is OK and the tranny seems to perform OK otherwise. I wondered if it may be propellor cavitation or if the speed control is not disengaged maybe it is trying to speed the boat up as it slows down in the turn? Any opinions out there?

6ballsisall
07-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Hows the condition of your prop?
Does the boat sound differently when in the right turn?
Is there more vibration when in the right turn?

whitedog
07-05-2005, 04:55 PM
If not running in RPM mode the speed control will apply more power to try and maintain speed as the boat slows in the corner. Try running in RPM mode instead of MPH mode and see what happens.

Leroy
07-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Mine does that a little also. As you turn it adds more resistance and the PP increases to keep the speed up or in RPM mode will increase it some due to added loading. I've never considered it a problem.

causewayskiier
07-05-2005, 05:28 PM
I have the PP digital Pro and always use the RPM mode, also prop looks fine.

6ballsisall
07-05-2005, 05:50 PM
If you prop is good and and you don't have any rudder issues I can't imagine how it could be anything else but PP. You said your transmission works fine otherwise, I can't see how that would be the issue. There is not an increase in vibration or strange noises when turning hard right is there?

Leroy
07-05-2005, 05:56 PM
It sounds like cavitation, but I don't think it is.