PDA

View Full Version : prop "?"

timvan
07-31-2010, 09:16 PM
I managed to hit something that was submerged and bent my prop. There's a vibration, more on accelelration and turns.. So I know I'm out at least a prop.....

The boat also pulls right enough that if I take my hands off the wheel it will veer off course. Is that from the bent prop? I've never hit anything or nicked it other that this time.

2002 marisatar 230 ltr

Thanks!
Tim

Cloaked
07-31-2010, 09:33 PM
I managed to hit something that was submerged and bent my prop. There's a vibration, more on accelelration and turns.. So I know I'm out at least a prop.....

The boat also pulls right enough that if I take my hands off the wheel it will veer off course. Is that from the bent prop? I've never hit anything or nicked it other that this time.

2002 marisatar 230 ltr

Thanks!
TimThe pull is inherently normal. That is not from the bent prop.

I'd not run the boat until the prop is fixed, regardless of the degree of vibration.

Take the prop to a local prop shop and they can fix it and balance it, unless it is totally trashed, but I'd still ask the local guy. Most shops that are in the business, can do this repair easily enough.

timvan
07-31-2010, 09:42 PM
The pull is inherently normal. That is not from the bent prop.

I'd not run the boat until the prop is fixed, regardless of the degree of vibration.

Take the prop to a local prop shop and they can fix it and balance it, unless it is totally trashed, but I'd still ask the local guy. Most shops that are in the business, can do this repair easily enough.

The boat never pulled before. I'm going to send this one to oj and purchase another so I can keep this one as a spare

Cloaked
07-31-2010, 09:48 PM
The boat never pulled before. I'm going to send this one to oj and purchase another so I can keep this one as a spareOK. Seems you already knew the answers? :D

Most of the direct drives pull to the right. Lots of info here on that characteristic. Your v-drive may not be subject to that. I have never owned a V.

Check out your entire driveline for the sake of safety, but you already were going to do that anyway, no? :)

Do a runout on the shaft for alignment.

timvan
07-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Just wanted to make sure that the prop being bent was causing the pulling issue.

ShamrockIV
07-31-2010, 11:57 PM
did your boat pull b4? ever mastercraft direct drive i ever had pulled bad but the x30 does not at all!! is this a vdrive thing?? u may have bent the shaft i did this on my 83 S&S. fixing the prop will tell you alot!

timvan
08-01-2010, 12:12 AM
did your boat pull b4? ever mastercraft direct drive i ever had pulled bad but the x30 does not at all!! is this a vdrive thing?? u may have bent the shaft i did this on my 83 S&S. fixing the prop will tell you alot!

No, it never pulled before at all.

KnoxX2
08-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Check the rudder and see if you bent that? This would make the boat pull hard!!!

FrankSchwab
08-01-2010, 01:57 AM
I can't imagine how a bent prop would cause a boat that didn't pull before, to start pulling. Never heard of that happening.

/frank

timvan
08-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Rudder has 0 evidence of being bent, I placed a straight edge on it and it looks perfect