PDA

View Full Version : 351 W Electrical Gremlin...

TLR67
07-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Well when it rains it pours...

Took my 90 190 out tonight to see how the new Drive Train did and she has a slight vibe under 25 then it clears up.. Looks like the shaft is still not completley straight..Its not bad at all but you can feel it on the wheel.. Oh well.. I was sitting under a bridge during a rain storm and when the rain cleared I un tied and turned the key and nothing... I just put new ignition in 2 weeks ago and it started and ran a few times with no issues.. However now I turn the key and nothing.. After turning the key 3-4 times the guages go and lights come on.. As soon as I turn the key pop.. back to nothing.. I hit the Ignition reset on the dash and nothing.. Checked ground, cables and everything seems fine..I even by passed the kill switch and that didnt do it.. I do hear a pop back by the breaker.. Turn the key a few more times and same thing.. Guages come on.. turn then pop.. Same Pop happens when I hit the blower and horn so I dont think its a Bum Ignition..Any tips? No Electical issues in 20 years.. Man what a bummer.. Anyway any tips would be helpfull.. I am drowning my sorrows after being towed back to the ramp by a 86 Waverunner..LOL..

Thanks Guys in Advance....

Marc

Hoosier Bob
07-31-2010, 06:34 PM
I hope you get it figured out! The pop is not the breaker? If not has to be a ground. Nuetral switch? Move into drive/reverse and make sure straight up? Happened on my Nautique once. I had something like this happen recently but no pop, no gauges. Sorry!:mad:Well when it rains it pours...

Took my 90 190 out tonight to see how the new Drive Train did and she has a slight vibe under 25 then it clears up.. Looks like the shaft is still not completley straight..Its not bad at all but you can feel it on the wheel.. Oh well.. I was sitting under a bridge during a rain storm and when the rain cleared I un tied and turned the key and nothing... I just put new ignition in 2 weeks ago and it started and ran a few times with no issues.. However now I turn the key and nothing.. After turning the key 3-4 times the guages go and lights come on.. As soon as I turn the key pop.. back to nothing.. I hit the Ignition reset on the dash and nothing.. Checked ground, cables and everything seems fine..I even by passed the kill switch and that didnt do it.. I do hear a pop back by the breaker.. Turn the key a few more times and same thing.. Guages come on.. turn then pop.. Same Pop happens when I hit the blower and horn so I dont think its a Bum Ignition..Any tips? No Electical issues in 20 years.. Man what a bummer.. Anyway any tips would be helpfull.. I am drowning my sorrows after being towed back to the ramp by a 86 Waverunner..LOL..

Thanks Guys in Advance....

Marc

TLR67
07-31-2010, 06:42 PM
The Pop is coming from the Breaker I am almost 100% sure.. How do you reset it? I see Breaker with the arrow but there is just a bunch of wires coming out.. I dont see a rest button or anything.. Do I need to remove the black cover? Again its a 199o and I am no Electrical Genius but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.. Boat is all tucked in storage but I would like to go back up tomorrow.. Rewire the kill switch and attempt to fix it... Or reset the breaker how ever you do that/// Thanks again ...

TLR67
07-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Here is the same breaker I have in mine... http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31858\\

Any tips??

TLR67
08-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Bad Negative Cable..... $12 from Autozone and she's back..... It was a little freyed by the connector just enough to short out... Whew.... That was fun... Thanks

JimN
08-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Bad Negative Cable..... $12 from Autozone and she's back..... It was a little freyed by the connector just enough to short out... Whew.... That was fun... Thanks

When a battery cable goes bad, it's not shorting out- you'd see smoke, sparks and fire if that happened. They fail by going open-circuit because the strands break. Sometimes, it's because of flexing and usually, it's because of corrosion. If you see green at the end of the jacket, replace the cable. If you see that and seem to go through a lot of batteries, alternators, solenoids and starters, replace both battery cables and clean all of their connecting points.

TLR67
08-01-2010, 12:08 PM
When a battery cable goes bad, it's not shorting out- you'd see smoke, sparks and fire if that happened. They fail by going open-circuit because the strands break. Sometimes, it's because of flexing and usually, it's because of corrosion. If you see green at the end of the jacket, replace the cable. If you see that and seem to go through a lot of batteries, alternators, solenoids and starters, replace both battery cables and clean all of their connecting points.

Only replaced Starter once... .. It was where I actuallty attached the new connector last year.. The length of the cable was maxed out and it pulled some of the copper out of the connector...Yes strands were broken.... Got a new 72 Incher and feed it through... New connector as well...

JimN
08-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Only replaced Starter once... .. It was where I actuallty attached the new connector last year.. The length of the cable was maxed out and it pulled some of the copper out of the connector...Yes strands were broken.... Got a new 72 Incher and feed it through... New connector as well...

If you put the terminals on yourself, crimp AND solder them. A crimped connection is good when enough force is used but for large gauge cable, I like the pre-made ones with the sealed end. Once moisture gets in, it begins to work against the copper immediately.

TLR67
08-01-2010, 02:34 PM
If you put the terminals on yourself, crimp AND solder them. A crimped connection is good when enough force is used but for large gauge cable, I like the pre-made ones with the sealed end. Once moisture gets in, it begins to work against the copper immediately.

Yep the new one came pre crimped with the sealed in... I might get one for the positive side now as well from a precautionary measure... Not today though... Its about 110 degrees in my garage with the fan on... I just redrilled my strut holes and realigned the strut... As much as I would like to get in the lake I am going to have to wait 24 Hourst for the RTV to dry... It will be a good Monday,.,,:)