PDA

View Full Version : PITOT Replacement

dgilbreath
07-30-2010, 11:07 PM
I am getting ready to replace one of my pitot on my 86 Prostar. I bought it from SKIDIM. The original that I am replacing appears to have a caulk or glue between the pitot and the hull.

What is the right way to do this? The original had two screws the replacement has three.

east tx skier
07-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Take the old pickup off. Line the back up with your new one and mark the two holes on either side of the new one. Drill two holes as marked. Squirt some 3m 5200 in the holes in your trans and on the back of the pickup. Screw pickup to transom sin the two original screws. Don't worry with the top hole on the pickup. Let cure for 24 hrs and don't forget to hookup the tubing to the new pickup.

dgilbreath
07-31-2010, 12:06 AM
Thanks! That was the advice I was hoping for.

east tx skier
07-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Hang on to your original airguide. They are worth some bucks.

sethro
07-31-2010, 01:51 PM
I would use 3M 4200 just in case you ever need to take it off again...like if it breaks for some reason and you want to replace it.

dgilbreath
08-15-2010, 10:16 PM
I replaced the Pitot from the one available from SKIDIM. It was easy. I went with the 5200 since the first one took me 24 years to damage it. It worked great. It was great to have both gauges working again. The PITOT from SKIDIM doesn't seems to get clogged as easy.

Thanks again.

erkoehler
08-15-2010, 10:18 PM
I replaced the Pitot from the one available from SKIDIM. It was easy. I went with the 5200 since the first one took me 24 years to damage it. It worked great. It was great to have both gauges working again. The PITOT from SKIDIM seems to get clogged as easy.

Thanks again.

It's not just the ones from SKIDIM, all pitot pickups are tough to keep cleared on a lake with a lot of weeds/sediment.

The best cure is to go with paddlewheel pickups.

east tx skier
08-16-2010, 10:27 AM
It's not just the ones from SKIDIM, all pitot pickups are tough to keep cleared on a lake with a lot of weeds/sediment.

The best cure is to go with paddlewheel pickups.

I've even managed to clog up a paddle wheel before. :o

DooSPX
08-16-2010, 10:34 AM
I've even managed to clog up a paddle wheel before. :o

dare I ask Doug? lol

ski_king
08-16-2010, 10:54 AM
dare I ask Doug? lol

I have seen photos of his slalom course, I can understand. Now if he said he clogged his GPS........

east tx skier
08-16-2010, 12:45 PM
We had a pretty bad Giant Salvenia problem a couple of years ago. We also have a hydrilla problem in the shallower areas. It shook loose eventually.

I'm replacing the paddle wheel with a thru-hull depth/water temp gauge from Faria. Perfect Pass doesn't use the wheel any more anyway.

pkskier
08-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Eastie, is this word appropriate for a family site. Slavenia

east tx skier
08-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Whatever do you mean. :o

pkskier
08-16-2010, 05:47 PM
I think you have an idea.:cool:

dgilbreath
08-21-2010, 10:28 PM
I just want to post a correction. Although I corrected my original post I want to make sure everyone saw the correction. Originally I posted the new Pitot cloged more, I left off the (n't) of did.

The Pitot from Skidim clogs less, much less than my original pitot MC 86. The design works better and works great with my speedo. I am going to replace the other one this fall since it is below the water(no change is the look of the boat) and works better.

Never type at night in the dark after a few adult beverages.

Yuo alawys mkae mistaeks.

Bert
08-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Never type at night in the dark after a few adult beverages.

Yuo alawys mkae mistaeks.
drink up:D