PDA

View Full Version : Water in Transmission

bfinley
07-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Last year I noticed a problem with having water in my transmission. This was because my transmission fluid turned light pink and became very foamy. Because of this, I replaced the transmission cooler assuming that is where the leak came from.

However, my transmission fluid is still foamy. Any idea how the water is getting in there??

Brandon

6ballsisall
07-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Did you check the breather tube? I saw one boat where the breather tube had been busted off. That would let all kinds of water and muck in.

bfinley
07-05-2005, 12:23 PM
I'll have to take a look. Can you tell me what to look for??

Engine Nut
07-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Last year I noticed a problem with having water in my transmission. This was because my transmission fluid turned light pink and became very foamy. Because of this, I replaced the transmission cooler assuming that is where the leak came from.

However, my transmission fluid is still foamy. Any idea how the water is getting in there??

Brandon

If you have a ZF V-drive it is probably coming back into the transmission from water in the bilge. If the lower end of the output shaft is sitting in water, it will be drawn back into the transmission past the lower shaft seal as the trans cools down. Two things to help prevent this. One, the obvious ... keep the bilge dry. Two, there is a breather vent on the top of the transmission. Pry the metal cover off the breather vent and remove the check disk and spring then replace the cover. Removing the spring and disk will prevent a vacuum from being created in the trans as it cools down and should help keep the water out.

Keeping the bilge dry is most important because even if you stop the water from coming back into the trans, with that shaft sitting in water it may eventually corrode and ruin the sealing surface on the output shaft which results in a big $ repair bill.

Engine Nut