PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in gelcoat

wtrskr
07-28-2010, 11:21 PM
I see there is another cracked gelcoat thread. I didn't want to hijack it since our issues aren't identical.

My recently purchased '94 190 has two cracks that, it appears, have allowed moisture into the gelcoat creating a large sized ring. I plan on dealing with the boat's oxidation but I want to see how I should deal with this issue first.

How should I go about sealing the cracks?

I imagine it will be more tricky to do a decent looking job because it is in the colored gelcoat. The cracks aren't real noticeable now so my goal is to simply stop it from spreading.

The dark areas on and near the cracks are due to silicone that I rubbed on to temporarily stop moisture. Otherwise, the gelcoat near the cracks would be the same color as the surrounding gelcoat.

Skipper
07-29-2010, 08:44 PM
If it were just the cracks you could either grind off the area around the cracks and regel or even dremel out the cracks down to the glass and regel. Since you have that large area that appears to be blistered or in some other way damaged, that whole area must be grinded down to the glass and regelled. However, I suggest that you use a good buffing compound on the boat first to get close to the true color before matching for the repair. I suspect that ring is not caused by those two cracks, but rather the impact that caused those two cracks in the first place.

Luv2Ski
07-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Agree with above comment. You can't just fill cracks, that unfortunately does not work. You will have to at least widen them a bit with a dremel and then use a gelcoat paste. If you have to remove a large area, you might want to spray the gel. I have no first hand experience with spraying but I understand it is the way to go on larger repairs.

I tried to do a color transition like that with paste and it did not turn out great, however, I think with a little more patience it would have. The trick is getting a good sharp line between colors. Next time I will lay in the first color slightly pass the color transition. Then as the gelcoat starts to harden I will take a knife, cut it right at the transition, and remove the excess. That way the transition will be sharp throughout the entire depth of the repair. That way when you sand it, the color transition does not move on you (that is what happened to me, transition was perfect on the surface but when I color sanded it moved).

wtrskr
08-02-2010, 10:51 AM
I hadn't even considered that the ring may have been caused by an impact. It very well may be the case. I had assumed it was a water ring caused by water getting into or behind the gelcoat.

I beleive that damage may go all the way through fiberglass. The boat had been taking in too much water. After I rubbed silicone into and over the cracks, the problem seems to have stopped. The cracks are only about 2 inches long and not very wide, so I was suprised that the damage may go all the way through.

After I compound and polish the gelcoat, I'll take a look at fixing the cracks. It is good knowing that I should do the compound first and not the other way around.

Thanks.

tph
08-02-2010, 02:00 PM
I see there is another cracked gelcoat thread. I didn't want to hijack it since our issues aren't identical.

My recently purchased '94 190 has two cracks that, it appears, have allowed moisture into the gelcoat creating a large sized ring. I plan on dealing with the boat's oxidation but I want to see how I should deal with this issue first.

How should I go about sealing the cracks?

I imagine it will be more tricky to do a decent looking job because it is in the colored gelcoat. The cracks aren't real noticeable now so my goal is to simply stop it from spreading.

The dark areas on and near the cracks are due to silicone that I rubbed on to temporarily stop moisture. Otherwise, the gelcoat near the cracks would be the same color as the surrounding gelcoat.

The large ring may be overlayed gelcoat from a repair. My '89 was repaired and I have a similar look where the original gelcoat meets the repair gelcoat.

snork
08-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Definitely a repair in the past.

wtrskr
08-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Now that makes sense. The cracks are probably forming becuase the repair job wasn't done well enough to stand the test of time.