PDA

View Full Version : tower causing cracks in gel coat

chunter
07-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi all i am new to the forum i just bought a 1999 Prosar 205 and i am loooking for some advise on some basic maintenance tips to bring the boat back to the condition it was in when new.
the previous owner was not big on cosmetic maintenance so there are some scratches and gouges in the gell coat that i am going to try and rub out to the best that i can. But the real frustration i have is that the tower is causing some real large cracks in the gell coat and i dont know how to fix it. is there a filler that i can use or do in need to not look at it anymore and let it be. also i am in the southern CA area primarily i live in Palmdale and i am looking for some people that might want to go boating some time.
thanks
Caleb Hunter

russlars
07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
How about posting some pics of your gel coat cracks to give us a better idea of what you are talking about.

chunter
07-28-2010, 12:57 PM
i will take some tonight when i get home and post them

chunter
07-28-2010, 11:00 PM
here are the photos of the area that is cracked sorry if the photos are not right with the color i used my cell phone

TLR67
07-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Now thats a stress crack there.... Is it tightened down? Was it hit/pushed in by chance? Are the others like that?

Yellow X9
07-29-2010, 12:19 AM
I too have simular stress cracks on the back leg area of my tower on the top mounting surface on the hull. My best guess tells me that that smaller mounting area of the base tower holder to the Hull, cant dispurse the weight well. Which is probably why the base tower mounting plate has more surface area that mounts to the hull area, on the newer boats. My tower has never hit anything
Mines an 05 X9

chunter
07-29-2010, 12:27 AM
the cracks are only on the drivers side and what i am thinking is that the old owner towed it under something like a tree but really cant verify since the tower has no marks on it. also the mount is solid i have checked the bolts and everything is tight. based on the condition of the trailer it would not surprise me if he hit something. the trailer is in real bad need of some major paint work. i kind knew that it would be a project when i bought it. but got it for a good price so it goes with the territory i am just really anal about maintenance and the condition of everything that i won. thanks for the reply.

chunter
07-29-2010, 12:29 AM
i would like to get a newer tower that mounts on the top of the rail but i am not sure that i can fill the holes and make them disappear.

TLR67
07-29-2010, 09:10 AM
I would at least take it off and inspect it further.... shouldnt be too hard of a job... Preventative inspections can save you big bucks... After its off determing if your going to fix it or leave it... Hopefully its just the Gelcoat and there is no real damage underneath.. If not then I would so a search on repair and paint here... Lots and Lots of good info on this site...

east tx skier
07-29-2010, 11:47 AM
As for filling holes, a good gel and glass guy can do it so that you can never even tell that it's there. The question is, do you know of a good gel and glass guy. From my experience, gel work is cheap. Gel and glass work is not. Gel, itself, is a bit expensive, too.

boyd
07-31-2010, 11:03 PM
Looks like you have a small bracket on the inside. Probably about double the side of the outside. It should be about 4x the size of the outside so it's pulling from a larger area.
How big is the plate on the inside.

chunter
08-02-2010, 11:43 AM
well the plate on the inside is the same as the outside. and i am going to replace with a much larger plate when i get the gel coat fixed. i found someone near me that is going to fix it soon.