PDA

View Full Version : Carb rebuild

flat broke
07-27-2010, 06:34 PM
I guys I think my carb needs a little love I don't think the choke works it has power to it sometimes I have to crack open the throttle plates to do a cold start almost like it is flooded when it is warm it is fine and once it starts when cold it runs a bit rough till it gets warmed up I have good new plugs cap & rotor good fuel and EI. So I live in the Sacramento are in Ca who do you guys rec for a rebuild ? Thank you guys in advanced :D

thatsmrmastercraft
07-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Sounds like it might only need a new choke cap. $39.00 at SKIDIM. Might be a cheaper source out there. Not sure if this is the correct part from Summit Racing. Holley 45-258 $24.95 Need to confirm if there is a marine specific choke cap.

Luv2Ski
07-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Agreed, if the engine is running great in general, start with tuning the choke before you move to rebuild. Rebuilds do not typically replace any choke parts.

You mention it has power sometimes, the choke should always get power when the ignition is forward. If it does not, start by looking for a loose/corroded connection.

If it does get power, then look at the choke plate to see if it is starting closed or near closed when cold and more importantly that it is all the way open by about 120 degrees or so. If not, replace the choke cap as suggested.