PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Maristar 225 need a new ECM, where can I obtain one and how to assemble?

barakcohen
07-27-2010, 04:54 PM
I love my 1996 Maristar 225 (and usually use it for wakeboarding before I go to work for the last 5 years). Yet, this year I could not do it, since my MC shop prepared it for spring I had a myrad of issues that the MC shop could not yet resolve, here is the story, maybe you can share your thoughs on how to address this and help me get to the water again:

Beyond winterizing (and preparation for spring), it underwent the following services:
1. undercoat (when I bought it)
2. repacking the prop (3 years ago)
3. Alternator and stearing cable (begining of last season)

This season, while preparing for spring, the stearing rod was replaced as well. Then (about 3 month ago), when it got into the water for the first time, it died and could not start. The diagnosis was a bad starter. I waited a month for the starter to be refurbished and replaced (initially the starter was badly refurbished, and I got the boat back and they did it again this time sucessfully). Then when I got it into the water again, although the engine started, it did not hold running and died after few seconds. The technitian claimed it was the ignition switch that was replaced thereafter (twice). That did not help as well and then the diagnosis was a bad ECM (Delco 16189069 with MEFI 2 software). Since Delco does not manufacture these anymore, the dealership sent me to find a working unit on my own (I found it after calling indmanr that pointed me to a california dealership: Zervos Marine Service that had one). When the new ECM came and the technitian installed it he claimed it did not work (although the dealership that sold me the ECM claims that the technitian might have cause it to burn out).

At this point I am 3 month into the season with a boat that does not work and with a bad ECM (and with many $ spent without results).

I'd appreciate your advice on:

1. Where to obtain (or fix ) an ECM (MEFI2)?
2. Some advice on how to ensure it does not burn again when installing it (if I find or fix one).
3. Any other ways to circumvent this and get me back to water? (rewiring maybe, rewiring for a different ECM, repowering).

Thanks in advance for your feedback, the summer in seatlle will be winding down soon (with the wakeboarding season)

Barak

chico
07-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Why don`t you send the 2 ECM`s to Indmar.They can test them and reflash if necessary.Ibought a brand new mefi2 from indmar as a spare(they had 2 left at that time.)

KnoxX2
07-27-2010, 07:59 PM
I would say first, the shop is just throwing parts at the boat and hoping it will fix the problem. I would start back when the boat died!

When the boat died the first time, did the starter try and turn the motor over?

As far as the ECM. I would do what Chico said and send it to Indmar next day air with a return label for next day air back and ask them to test it.

BTW where are you located. Maybe we can point you in a different location for service!

barakcohen
07-28-2010, 04:58 PM
I am located in Seattle.

barakcohen
07-28-2010, 05:01 PM
btw, as the MC shop asked me to come up with a new ECM, I talked to indmar and they pointed me to a shop in California that had a stock of MEFI 2 ECM, I bought it and haned it to the shop. They claimed it was burned (but the sender confirmed that this unit was tested before it was sent). SOmething that was done to the boat caused the ECM to burn out apperantly.

Thrall
07-28-2010, 05:55 PM
If your story is all correct, I'll reserve comments about your dealer as I'm sure you have plenty of your own!
Some ECM's can't be repaired (or re-flashed). That was the case on my '96. I ended up getting a re-furbished ECM directly from Indmar, with the help of my dealer (which it appears you have none of).
JimN or Engine Nut could probably help you further with this. Or phone Indmar and explain your situation and see if they can bench test both of your ECM's and either fix them or sell you a re-furb if they have any MEFI II's left. This assuming you have no recourse with the dealer or the place that sold you the other ECM, as they're not cheap. Believe $1000 was the price tag on mine.
Next step would be to get a newer MEFI III or MEFI IV ECM, but will require re-wiring and of course flashed to your boat's specs.

JimN
07-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Ask them if their tech is certified by MC or Indmar, in any way. If not, get a refund. Go to the owner of the place, I don't care, but get a refund. They have no idea what they're doing, judging by their use of the Parts Cannon. If they can't diagnose simple problems like an ignition switch, send a bad starter out to have it rebuilt and get a motor that ran but wouldn't crank when you brought it in, they need to get out of the business. If they're a MC dealer, MC needs to know what they're doing to the customers. If they're not an MC dealer, you need to go to one, ASAP. MC or Indmar can check the ECM and if necessary, do the recal, based on your motor serial number and hull ID.

Those ECMs are out there, but they're not too easy to find.

I found a site for a company who may have MEFI 2 ECMs and I'm waiting for a callback.

JimN
07-28-2010, 06:08 PM
btw, as the MC shop asked me to come up with a new ECM, I talked to indmar and they pointed me to a shop in California that had a stock of MEFI 2 ECM, I bought it and haned it to the shop. They claimed it was burned (but the sender confirmed that this unit was tested before it was sent). Something that was done to the boat caused the ECM to burn out apperantly.

Make sure the Clyde working on your boat didn't reverse the battery cables. That takes out all kinds of stuff, especially when the key is turned to ON.

barakcohen
07-28-2010, 06:34 PM
The place that sold be the second ECM (Zervos marine in CA) got the bad unit back and refunded what I paid (it was expensive as you say). He did not want to sell me another unit as he claims the shop burned it (and he assume they will burn another one).So I am left with the original burned ECM.

JimN
07-28-2010, 09:50 PM
The place that sold be the second ECM (Zervos marine in CA) got the bad unit back and refunded what I paid (it was expensive as you say). He did not want to sell me another unit as he claims the shop burned it (and he assume they will burn another one).So I am left with the original burned ECM.

I found a place in CA that has MEFI 1 ECMs, in stock and for less money. New ones. He can program it however you want or get the original program from MC and there wasn't much difference between MEFI 1 and MEFi 2. MEFI 3, CEFI4 and MEFI 4 aren't interchangeable with 1 and 2 because the old ones had positive voltage coming out of the triggers for relays, etc and the newer ones have negative triggers. Also, the MEFI 1 & 2 have an external knock sensor module and the new ones all have it inside.

Talk to the owner of the shop and get the comments from Zervos, in writing. Get money back and go somewhere else for service.