PDA

View Full Version : High voltage issue-95 PS190

wgtruemper
07-27-2010, 01:07 PM
I am experiencing high voltage at >1500rpm. If i run the boat above that speed, the system seems to "stick" at 18+ volts until I either turn on and off a bunch of other circuits (blower, bilge, etc) or shut down and re-start. Battery is a new blue-top. I pulled the alternator last night and will have it checked, but I am leaning towards the voltage regulator, which I think is on the rear/starboard side of the engine. Can anyone confirm? Any ideas on how to change, where to buy, etc? I didn't see one listed on skidim.com.

Coincidental to this issue, I've starting hearing some belt squeak/squeal. Belt looks to have more than 1/2" travel when I push/pull on it, and when I spin it by hand I can see it deflect/bunch up. I am planning to change the belt, but how do you get it off? I've pulled the alternator so the belt is just hanging on the two remaining pulleys. Pull off the raw water pump?

Thanks in advance, this site is great for a new boat owner like me. Can't afford to pay someone else to fix my toy.

oldairboater
07-28-2010, 08:21 AM
To change the belt on my 93 PS I have to take the bracket that is bolted to the block on the raw water pump loose at the block. I also remove both hoses from my raw water pump. Bracket just swings enough out to let belt slide on and off. I can't answer the regulator problem--my boat has a one wire alternator with a internal regulator.

JimN
07-28-2010, 09:26 AM
I am experiencing high voltage at >1500rpm. If i run the boat above that speed, the system seems to "stick" at 18+ volts until I either turn on and off a bunch of other circuits (blower, bilge, etc) or shut down and re-start. Battery is a new blue-top. I pulled the alternator last night and will have it checked, but I am leaning towards the voltage regulator, which I think is on the rear/starboard side of the engine. Can anyone confirm? Any ideas on how to change, where to buy, etc? I didn't see one listed on skidim.com.

Coincidental to this issue, I've starting hearing some belt squeak/squeal. Belt looks to have more than 1/2" travel when I push/pull on it, and when I spin it by hand I can see it deflect/bunch up. I am planning to change the belt, but how do you get it off? I've pulled the alternator so the belt is just hanging on the two remaining pulleys. Pull off the raw water pump?

Thanks in advance, this site is great for a new boat owner like me. Can't afford to pay someone else to fix my toy.

They stopped using external regulators long ago- it's inside the alternator. What part did you thing was the regulator?-Post a photo.

Yes, you need to remove the bracket on the raw water pump to remove the belt.

wgtruemper
07-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks to both OldAir and JimN, the hints on changing the belt are great. My alt is 1wire so that means the vreg is internal, I take it? I was able to contact the prior owner and that's what he thought, too. I will try to get a photo of what I thought was the Vreg on here Friday, so check back please, JimN. I need the education...