PDA

View Full Version : The Planet Castle

captain planet
07-26-2010, 10:50 PM
So the 'Planets' have landed in a new house and the list of projects is long. I figure before we start making decisions on improvements I'd float a few questions here to see what expriences people have had with projects. For example, we are going replace the rear sliding door and Mrs. Planet wants a double French door. I was told by a good source that double French doors have a tendency to leak and let a lot of air through. Is this the case?

JohnE
07-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Not true about the double french doors. But you get what you pay for sometimes and some might leak or let air through. Just make sure that the french door has enough room to open without affecting the living space. I've seen it a few times where the open door then crowds the table area in a kitchen or whatever. Just a thought. If there is enough room, I do prefer that to a slider.

Double D
07-26-2010, 11:07 PM
So the 'Planets' have landed in a new house and the list of projects is long. I figure before we start making decisions on improvements I'd float a few questions here to see what expriences people have had with projects. For example, we are going replace the rear sliding door and Mrs. Planet wants a double French door. I was told by a good source that double French doors have a tendency to leak and let a lot of air through. Is this the case?

I have french doors on my house since it was built in 1999. I had to replace the seals once and repair the locks once, but other than that, I am happy with it. The one half has only been opened twice in its life. One time to move something big in and the second was for the repair work on the other half.

New house = Moved in = MasterCraft Event on the 21st???:D

captain planet
07-27-2010, 08:51 AM
I have french doors on my house since it was built in 1999. I had to replace the seals once and repair the locks once, but other than that, I am happy with it. The one half has only been opened twice in its life. One time to move something big in and the second was for the repair work on the other half.

New house = Moved in = MasterCraft Event on the 21st???:D

I wish.....new house = bathrooms to fix, garage doors to get to work, gutters to repair, plumbing to repair, grading to adjust, and sliding door to replace + moving in + fall seasonal business to prepare to open on Sept 11 and run for 6 weeks = no time to do anything from now until some time in March. It's going to be a long busy road for the next 6 months or so. :(:o

thatsmrmastercraft
07-27-2010, 09:22 AM
I went with the single french door with a sidelight. Wish I would have gone with the double. No leaks or problems in 10 years.

Good luck with the list.

Willski
07-27-2010, 10:00 AM
We had a french door with only one side that opened. I replaced with a slider due to the space issue. Frees up room in the dining room.

ski_king
07-27-2010, 10:05 AM
We had a french door with only one side that opened. I replaced with a slider due to the space issue. Frees up room in the dining room.

Same here, single opening french door. It is going to be replaced with a slider this fall or in the spring. Too many hassels with furniture etc., at least for my floor plan.

shepherd
07-27-2010, 10:20 AM
We have double french doors that open onto our deck. It really opens the house up on nice days when you open both doors. One big drawback is that we don't have screens. I searched and couldn't find a practical screening solution. But maybe there are french doors out there that can be screened. :confused:

shepherd
07-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Ours open out onto the deck and swing 180 degrees out so they can be flat against the outside wall, so no space issues...

Have you thought about pocket sliders that disappear into the wall? Those are real nice but may be difficult or impossible depending on the structure of your wall.

Dbuck
07-27-2010, 10:45 AM
I have had French doors, double and single, and I don't think quality ones have any more issues with air leaks etc, than sliding. If space is a problem, have them swing out instead of in. Most have the bolt system where one stays closed unless you need it open. They are great when you have to bring something big in or out.

If I have a choice, I would pick French doors over sliders anytime. I am in the south though, that might influence some.

For security's sake, do pay attention to the hinge mounting. You want the hinge pins inside if possible. If they must be outside, be sure they are difficult to remove.

TX.X-30 fan
07-27-2010, 10:54 AM
The cheapo home depot all wood will not last and leak so expect to pay a grand or more for the unit to get a quality door and the install is pretty straight forward and can save a buck or 2.

2RLAKE
07-27-2010, 11:27 AM
i have Anderson 400 doors on both the main house and lake house ... knock on wood, have not had any issues. They seal tight and have not had any airleak issues

trickskier
07-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Your wife sent me a pic of that fixer upper!!! Sweet - Good LUCK!!! 60115

captain planet
07-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Oh yea, all I need is a little paint and some shingles and I'm good to go.

We get possession on the 8th......and at that point my summer ends.....:( I get to do a bathroom right out of the gate before we can move in. Fun times. :confused:

2RLAKE
07-30-2010, 10:31 AM
hey you could probably take a couple doors off of Norms house ....

captain planet
07-30-2010, 11:00 AM
hey you could probably take a couple doors off of Norms house ....

Is he doing more renovations? Isn't this his rental season?

KnoxX2
07-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Only thing he will be doing is finishing his deck this fall!!!!!!!