PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Leak

5280Hawk
07-26-2010, 04:16 PM
The last few times when i've pulled my boat (2002 Xstar)out of the water and pulled the center drain plug, I've noticed that there's a nice little bit of oil floating on top, :mad:

So i have a few questions, I think its Motor Oil, because its not at all Red. Even if's its a little bit of oil, I should still be able to tell its not tranny fluid, right? When i opened the Transmission i heard a slight hiss, and it was actually a little low. Is that indicative of anything?
I checked the motor oil level in the boat last week and it was a little low as well, so I added a Quart and that Put the level up over the operating range, so if it is oil, It's not leaking very much, I've put 25 Hours on the boat so far this season.

Also i don't find any oil under the Engine itself. Its pretty clean under there, It only seems to be picked up in the water that ends up at the bottom of the hull.

The Oil pressure Guage shows about 12 PSI, but it never changes, so I think it's Jacked up anyway.

I changed both fluids myself at the end of last year, but that was the first season i owned the boat, so im pretty new still.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Im Tired of looking at Shiny Rainbow oil slicks running down the Boat ramp parking lot!:)

76S&S
07-26-2010, 05:17 PM
I have the same boat and my tranny uses the same oil as the engine. If it is the lower tranny seal (known issue) you run the risk of it sucking up water into the tranny from the bilge. Since both the engine and tranny were low, it's going to take a little detective work on your part to find where it's coming from.

5280Hawk
07-26-2010, 11:31 PM
I did look under there this evening and actually did see some oil under the pan. I felt all around the pan gasket and didn't see any leaks. I also didn't see any leaks around the oil drain line at the top.....however, the brass plug at the other end did have a bit of oil around it.

I think I probably just didn't get it on tight enough. :rolleyes: i tightened it up and cleaned out all the oil I could down there, so we'll see. It will probably take a few days on the water before all the residual oil drains out. I hope that is all it was.

76S&S
07-27-2010, 11:34 AM
that would be awesome if it was just the brass plug.

TLR67
07-27-2010, 11:52 AM
My guess is its the brass plug... I always put a strip of teflon tape on mine after Oil Changes...

wheeler
07-29-2010, 07:56 AM
I hope the brass plug is not just laying in the bottom of the boat???

Pull it up and zip tie it up high to something with the brass plug pointing up...no more leaks even if it was not tight......

JimN
07-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Who changes the oil? If a little was dripped into the bilge on one occasion and it wasn't wiped up, it will show up as a sheen for a long time. The first time water got into the bilge, it would have moved some of the oil to another compartment through the drain hole and the water that gets in there later will scavenge any oil that's available. If it's just a sheen, maybe you could put some detergent in the bilge with some water and rock the boat to clean it out, then flush it with clean water.

If the brass plug has a small hole in it, get a shower curtain ring and a key ring (the kind you would split and slide the key around to get it on the ring), slip the key ring onto the plug and put the shower curtain ring on the motor's lifting eye. Then, the oil drain hose will always be where you can get at it and it will never drop into the bilge.

Here's a link for teh shower curtain ring- you don't need the kind with the little beads-
http://www.amazon.com/Shower-Curtain-Accessories-Large-Hooks/dp/B000VSWWHU

Split key ring- go to a hardware or Dollar Store for this-http://www.amazon.com/HY-KO-PROD-KB102-100PK-Split/dp/B001EG6W3S

5280Hawk
07-29-2010, 05:33 PM
I changed the oil last time, but i used a Funnel and no oil got spilled anywhere. And yes, the plug does sit at the bottom of the boat(didn't know any better). I will use the ring and Clip to hang it up.

I Will also try the Detergent thing to clean out the residual oil.

Thanks Guys I seriously learn a Ton every time i come on here.

JimN
07-29-2010, 07:54 PM
I changed the oil last time, but i used a Funnel and no oil got spilled anywhere. And yes, the plug does sit at the bottom of the boat(didn't know any better). I will use the ring and Clip to hang it up.

I Will also try the Detergent thing to clean out the residual oil.

Thanks Guys I seriously learn a Ton every time i come on here.

I didn't necessarily mean you and I didn't mean the last oil change. If oil got into the bilge the first time it was changed, it will stay there for quite a while and every time water gets to it, some of it is removed.