PDA

View Full Version : Blisters

TCrate
07-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Seems like there have been a rash of these in the last few weeks with the guys I ski with. I had two of these last year in one week. I tried many things. Curious what you have done to get through these blister issues until they heal.

John B
07-05-2005, 09:15 AM
If you are getting blister like that, your gloves are to big.
That happen to me last year. The gloves I was wearing were xl and now I wear medium.
The best thing to do about the blister is use those new Hydrocolloid Band-Aids.
One dressing lasts up to seven days.
Clean the skin with rubbing alcohol and don't use any ointments and they will stay on and they are water proof.

BriEOD
07-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Try a pair of glove liners. I agree with JB your gloves are bunching.

Cloaked
07-05-2005, 09:46 AM
I'm sure there will be numerous opinions on this nasty looking blister.

...Curious what you have done to get through these blister issues until they heal.I've had blisters to this degree in years past. All I knew to do was rest the hand and keep CamphoPhenique (or a camphor based product) on the open spot while it gets plenty of air.

Dead skin is dead skin. Get rid of it so your hand can heal... :D

I went to a ski school years ago and developed a blister similar (or worse) than this and was only 2 days into the 4 day school. All I could do was be tough or go home. I stayed and had tears more than once...

As well as resizing my gloves (as stated by others), I also went to a slightly larger diameter handle.

Get well soon!!

east tx skier
07-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Glove liners might help, but in my case, they just helped me develop calouses more quickly.

Find a glove with extra padding there that is billed as "not bunching." My blister problems have been minimal since I started holding the handle in my fingers as opposed to my palm.

tph
07-05-2005, 11:05 AM
The ring may be adding to the problem as well.

bigmac
07-05-2005, 11:46 AM
The ring may be adding to the problem as well.The ring is the MAIN aspect of the problem.

Don't wear the ring and get gloves that fit better, the wound will heal fine, just keep it clean with soap and water and don't put any ointment or other goop on it.

Ric
07-05-2005, 11:58 AM
The ring is the MAIN aspect of the problem.

Don't wear the ring and get gloves that fit better, the wound will heal fine, just keep it clean with soap and water and don't put any ointment or other goop on it.
God, I hope he isn't wearing his ring when skiing (I doubt it )
I had the same problem with clinchers because my style bunches the glove and palm up right there
I got off of the clinchers slowly and went to a L glove which is quite small on my hand and tough to put on. AND kevlar liners. Those things will keep you from getting those blisters in almost any case.

LakePirate
07-05-2005, 09:50 PM
I would have to agree on the ring....forgot to take mine off a couple of weekends ago and paid the price for the next week.

stevo137
07-05-2005, 10:08 PM
You need to hold that handle more in the fingers like Doug mentioned.
I know that he is right on this one.
(I never take my ring off and have never had a blister like that).
When gloves are too large, they can definatetly cause more friction.

jimmer2880
07-06-2005, 06:37 AM
You need to hold that handle more in the fingers like Doug mentioned.
I know that he is right on this one.
(I never take my ring off and have never had a blister like that).
When gloves are too large, they can definatetly cause more friction.

Me too. Never take my ring off. It hurt a little the first year, but never got blisters. Now, I don't even notice it.

Leroy
07-06-2005, 08:46 AM
We use the band aides JohnB mentioned with Zinc. Really great and they do stay on for week easily. Slashed under my little toe earlier on dock tie down and it healed it up well and holds things in place.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Curious what you have done to get through these blister issues until they heal.

....uh....Well, didnt your father ever sit you down and have "the talk" with you???? :purplaugh :uglyhamme

:cool:

now seriously, I think just soap and water and keeping dry and clean will do the trick. Try to let them heal before you ski again if possible. Get some better gloves to prevent it in the future. Its cold here, so I use kevlar palmed wetsuit gloves to ski with, and I have NO problems. They are called Akonas I got them from Scuba.com They are a bit bulky, but good on the hands.

TCrate
07-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Good input. The ring was added after the skiing. Agreed, the ring is hazardous while skiing. I did go to a smaller glove so this is helping, any bunching causes problems as I can see. Thanks for the input.

malchish
07-11-2005, 08:50 PM
I should’ve taken money for this brilliant advice, but for such nice community it’s going for free:
Fold a garbage bag until it becomes as wide as your palm – it should have 10 – 20 layers, cut to make it ~7 inches long, like on the picture, put your glove on, trying not to bunch the bag much. You can use big gloves, hold a handle in your palm (not fingers), and forget about blisters. Also you will improve your grip. Only thing – your gloves should be quite strong because it will not be any friction between your palm and the glove.

betsy&david Harrison
07-11-2005, 10:50 PM
When I was first learning to ski the course, I had both hands torn up under each finger. I taped them up and skied some more.(Stupid girl!) Since then I use the pads that slip over two fingers and around the wrist. I have not had any problems since. You can get them from Ski Limited or Overton's and they are not expensive at all.B

SteveO
07-11-2005, 11:07 PM
I'd say smaller gloves, preferably Kevlar lined and loose the ring. I put mine onthe car key ring while I ski. I bought the HO Phantoms last year and love them. Found these on Overton, but have no experience

betsy&david Harrison
07-11-2005, 11:22 PM
I have used these for 12 years now. They are comfortable and not a blister...cheap too! b