PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation Advice on a Red Hull....

TLR67
07-23-2010, 11:35 AM
I saw a few threads on this and am in need of some advice... I have waxed my Boat with a buffer (Orbital) the last 20 years and it always looks good after using Meguires Automotive Wax and Fiberglass restorer..

Now that its back in the garage and I am rebuilding the drive train I am thinking about doing it right... I have a few scratches I will start off by wetsanding but then what..Recomendations? Brands? The Platinum looks great but the red fades Months after waxing.. The boat always stays in shade unless on the lake... Anyone have good results with things with Red Hulls? I know Red is the worst color for oxidation,.,.

Thanks for your help in Advance... Here is a Pic...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/TLR67/IMG_0018-1.jpg

Patrick Hardy
07-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Since you said that you use Meguiars products, here is their 5 step boat care guide process and their products to use on each step. http://marinerv.meguiars.com/downloads/MaintenanceGuide_Marine.pdf
I would do the wet sanding process and then follow the Meguiars boat care guide step by step.
I have a friend who does this on his older oxidized boat and it turns out great each time.
Good luck and remember to go slow on each step of the guide and keep thinking that this is the FUN part of boat ownership.

BrianM
07-23-2010, 01:04 PM
-3M Heavy Duty Compound with a wool pad
-3M Perfect It II with an orange foam pad
-Meguires Polish (in the redish colored bottle) with a white foam pad
-Your favorite carnuba wax with a red foam pad.

The compound and Perfect It need to be used with a circular polisher.

Get your pads here http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/foampadfaq.html

CleanCarShop
07-23-2010, 08:50 PM
If you know how to use a rotary polisher, then go ahead and wet sand (back and forth )where needed, you dont have to do the whole hull. I have no problem with the many products and tips that I see suggested on the site. However it has been proven to me several times while testing and trying different products...Meguairs is the easiest to use, their products breakdown and become easy to remove. Once you get the hang of using a compound, and then follow with a polish you will understand... (this is where the "art" of polishing comes in) 3M compounds work great, but they MUST be followed with more steps to acheive what Meguairs can do in less steps. Always start with the least aggresive method, then bump up to what gets the color back, and if that means sanding, again start with the least aggressive grit (2000-2500 wet) you will polish less! and get the same result as the guy who goes right after it with a wool pad and or 600 grit. work your way up to what works,do the problem areas and then bring back the shine and remove sanding marks by compounding, and polishing. and to keep it looking good...I say no such thing as too much wax on a boat, too much at once yes, but wax it everytime you get a chance, you will not be wasting your time!