PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Prostar Ignition Switch Issues?

Martinfam5
07-23-2010, 12:38 AM
93 Prostar 190 w/351. About 1.5 year ago the hour meter quit working at around 685 hours. removed cluster checked all wiring connections but at best could only get intermittent operation. Hour Meter will work intermiitntly if you tap gauge/dash frequently.

Today during weekly session boat started cutting around and eventually just died at about 3/4 throttle. Noticed all the guages bottomed out when it died. Turned key off-Acc-on Shut restarted and ran fine back to the dock.

I think the (original) iginition switch is failing as it occassionally will not energze or de-energize when switching on off. Previous owner had a big heavy key fob on key ring that I think contributed to ignition switch woes.

Anyone else experienced these symptons and or have any advice would be greatly appreciated. Right now I am planning on a new ignition switch so if anyone knows of sources please advise. Really hate to let go of the stock switch assy especially since it still has the orginal MasterCraft Logo Key but in the end need the boat to run consistently.

Thanks,

Temporarily sidelined in Oregon

thatsmrmastercraft
07-23-2010, 01:02 AM
SKIDIM has the switch you are looking for. http://skidim.com

Martinfam5
07-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the lead. MrMC!

You think my diagnosis is correct? I think I remember these particular years having issues with ignition switches but maybe that is just a created myth on my part?

Soon to be shreddin in Oregon

Martinfam5
07-24-2010, 02:46 AM
Just a quick note to update. Got a new ignition switch today form NAPA (#KS 6592 $23.94) matched terminal posts with witing and wa-la, as expected boat energizes perfectly and the formerly MIA hour meter works like a fine tuned swiss watch. Tomorow AM will water test but am fairly confident problem solved. Was even able to switch the original MC key fob to the new key so the entire unit looks stock 1993!

Will post with results of tomorrows session but gotta go, 6:00 AM comes early on the west coast and the glass is waiting!

Martinfam5
Willamette Valley Oregon