PDA

View Full Version : Engine Overheated

skilew
07-05-2005, 08:19 AM
This weekend my engine overheated in my boat. The water hose from the water intake came loose. Thus no cooling water to the engine. I discovered this shortly after I launched the boat at the local ramp. Normally I would have been watching my temperature gauge but the boat ramp was busy. So human error played a part in this.

When I finally looked at my temperature gauge it was reading about 240F. I immediately shut off the engine let it cool to about 175F reattached the water hose and cranked the engine back up. No apparent problem.

How do I know if I damaged my engine?

What should I do after engine has run hot i.e., change engine oil or transmission oil?

ski_king
07-05-2005, 08:34 AM
How do I know if I damaged my engine?

What should I do after engine has run hot i.e., change engine oil or transmission oil?
I will let one of the engine experts answer this for you.
But, a friend of mine had a simular experience about 15 years ago and his boat is still running fine. I am sure there are lots of variables.

Top start with, I would change the oil and look for water in it. Also check the exaust hoses as they need water flowing thru them to keep them cool.
Probobly a good idea to do a compression check.

Cloaked
07-05-2005, 09:06 AM
Powerslot gives good advice, indeed.

My opinion is that the engine is OK. In particular, the fact that it's still running. Two hundred forty deg F isn't that terribly hot relative to the fact that one could have run the boat (not monitoring the temp gauge) until it locked. I think you're OK, with or without the compression check. Even 240 deg F shouldn't break down the oil but for a level of comfort, I'd change it... Smell of the tranny fluid and if it smells burned, change it; otherwise, I'd not worry too much. I've over heated an engine more than once (by not reconnecting the pick-up hose after dry testing).

Workin' 4 Toys
07-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Check the exhaust hoses, I hear they are the first to melt in a situation of lose of cooling water.

JEREMY79
07-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Yes they melt real easy. They are also expensive.

NatesGr8
07-05-2005, 10:20 AM
You're probably fine, 240 is nothing to worry about. A buddy of mine has a car that will reach upwards of 260 on hot days up hills and he uses 260 as his cut off point. He's been doing this for 2 years now trouble free. However i recently convinced him to get a bigger radiator, so he can keep it down around 200.

east tx skier
07-05-2005, 10:33 AM
I remember JimN telling me once to lift up my exhaust flaps and shine a flashlight up the exhaust hoses and look for warping or bubbling.

peason
07-05-2005, 10:34 AM
I agree, overheat should not be a problem. Do all the above and call Skidim about exhaust hoses, which you should easily be able to replace yourself.

jimmer2880
07-05-2005, 12:35 PM
I have an 88 Chevy pickup with the exact same motor. (I think - don't remember seeing you post what you had). During the summer it typically reaches 240 deg going up hill. Still runs fine though.

I'm in the process of getting a bigger radiator, etc. for it.

brianaw26
07-05-2005, 12:59 PM
I shredded my impeller, overheated my engine, melted the exhaust hoses, and idled it, with no water in the engine, a mile or 2 crossed the lake before someone offered to tow us.

Blew out my exhaust hoses thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3254)

Runs like a champ after an oil change and new exhaust hoses.

I dont recommend this though

skilew
07-05-2005, 01:02 PM
How do I determine if my exaust hoses need to be replaced?

And do I need to replace my impeller if the boat now runs at the correct temp?

JEREMY79
07-05-2005, 01:05 PM
I would get a spare impeller anyway. The hoses......Look up the exhaust flaps. Mine had little (quarter size) bubbles in them.

skilew
07-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all the information. I bought a new impeller and will replace it this weekend.