PDA

View Full Version : Flood Conditions and transient boaters

JohnnyB
07-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Just sounding off here, tell me if I just need to suck it up and deal with it or suggest a course of action.....

The situation. We've gotten a ton of rain in Wisconsin lately. The stretch of river I live on is 3ft above normal level and technically 1 foot above what is considered flood level. All of our docks are about 1/2 foot to a 1 foot under water. Unlike our neighboring counties, the local sherriff's department has not gone to an emergency no-wake zone. The result is we're getting lots of transient boaters using this stretch of river. This includes large sport boats pulling tubers, some pretty nice wakeboard boats running heavy ballast, etc. Some serious boats throwing 2-3ft wakes. To say the least, they are beating the crap out of our submerged docks and shorelines. I hesitate to ask the DNR or Sheriff for help as sometimes they impose rules when it doesn't make sense. However, in this case it does.

Most of the transients are clueless to the fact or don't care that they are destroying the docks and waterfront properties.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

My dock is holding, but I don't know for how long. More rain in the forecast today, tomorrow, friday.

get_sum
07-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Ummm I dunno, maybe pour some quickcrete in 5 gallon buckets and place them underwater on the dock to counter the pull up from the wave action.. each bucket would be about 80-125 lbs.

JimN
07-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Just sounding off here, tell me if I just need to suck it up and deal with it or suggest a course of action.....

The situation. We've gotten a ton of rain in Wisconsin lately. The stretch of river I live on is 3ft above normal level and technically 1 foot above what is considered flood level. All of our docks are about 1/2 foot to a 1 foot under water. Unlike our neighboring counties, the local sherriff's department has not gone to an emergency no-wake zone. The result is we're getting lots of transient boaters using this stretch of river. This includes large sport boats pulling tubers, some pretty nice wakeboard boats running heavy ballast, etc. Some serious boats throwing 2-3ft wakes. To say the least, they are beating the crap out of our submerged docks and shorelines. I hesitate to ask the DNR or Sheriff for help as sometimes they impose rules when it doesn't make sense. However, in this case it does.

Most of the transients are clueless to the fact or don't care that they are destroying the docks and waterfront properties.

My dock is holding, but I don't know for how long. More rain in the forecast today, tomorrow, friday.

I'd bet that if you looked online long enough, you could find plans to make a small torpedo launcher.:D

We had a Biblical thunderstorm this afternoon. I don't remember the last time it rained that hard and the creek 1/2 block West of my house was about 4' over its bank. That means I had water past the sidewalk in front of my house, which is about 18" higher than the street. Some rocket surgeon was driving at the intersection just west of here and their Cavalier (or whatever it was) started floating when they stopped.

On a good note, my gutters are finally clean. We have far too many silver maple trees around here and they drop their freakin' seeds 4 times a year. POS trees, IMO.

Thrall
07-23-2010, 01:09 AM
On a good note, my gutters are finally clean. We have far too many silver maple trees around here and they drop their freakin' seeds 4 times a year. POS trees, IMO.

Grew up in Grayslake IL. Remember cleaning those d@mn things out of the gutters all the time.

JohnnyB
07-23-2010, 08:30 AM
I'd bet that if you looked online long enough, you could find plans to make a small torpedo launcher.:D

Hmmmm :rolleyes:

Willski
07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
I had a nice big cruiser run by when I was putting my boat on the trailer yesterday.....water came over the back of the boat. Some people just don't think about others. I wasn't too happy. Right before that an Asian carp jumped in on the carpet!

joecarew3
07-26-2010, 06:23 PM
If it was mine... and I was really worried about it being destroyed... I would pull it. If your in GB I will come help you do it until the water calms down. Been a pretty crazy summer for rain, luckily for us our water table and lakes were down about 8 feet before all the rain, now we are filled up and looking good. Good luck with it!

JohnnyB
07-27-2010, 02:40 PM
If it was mine... and I was really worried about it being destroyed... I would pull it. If your in GB I will come help you do it until the water calms down. Been a pretty crazy summer for rain, luckily for us our water table and lakes were down about 8 feet before all the rain, now we are filled up and looking good. Good luck with it!

Joecarew3, I appreciate the offer. Had couple of buddies volunteer to help me pull it -- water is deep (what was 4 to 4.5 feet at the end of the dock is now 6.5-7.5ft) and strong current and lots of debris and mud. Not practical or necessarily safe/worth the hassle. Most of the dock will survive....the "L" section on the end has detached from the main dock but the posts are holding it in place and is now baling wired to the rest of the dock. Landing is finally closed. Lock is still letting people through and the brain surgeon wake surfing out there last weekend didn't seem lucky enough to find any of the large, partially submerged trees I moved off the dock.

Where are you in Northern, WI? Headed to Lake Tomahawk area late this week to enjoy some clean water, sun and some skiing. Good that the lakes are finally filling back in up there...it was needed!

Rockman
07-27-2010, 03:03 PM
JB,

I will be up in Wautoma this weekend starting Thursday.

Let me know if you are still interested in pulling the docks. We can bring our atvs over and pull them out with chains (if your docks are the ones on wheels).:confused:

If it is in your best interest to pull them, let us know, I am sure peeps on the board would stop over to help.

RM

TX.X-30 fan
07-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Can.t you just let some cable out on the anchors?? Are these permanent structures?? I only see permanent docks on constant level lakes.

Ben
07-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Get a whole bunch of crap and anchor it to the bottom of the river to make them slow down to drive around it. Trees / buoys / Misc Lumber nailed together. Anchor w/ Concrete blocks or equivalent. I don't think I'd write my name on any of it though, also to be kind to the idiots, make sure it is visible from a distance...

Then, open a prop store 100 yards down each side of the river.

joecarew3
07-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Joecarew3, I appreciate the offer. Had couple of buddies volunteer to help me pull it -- water is deep (what was 4 to 4.5 feet at the end of the dock is now 6.5-7.5ft) and strong current and lots of debris and mud. Not practical or necessarily safe/worth the hassle. Most of the dock will survive....the "L" section on the end has detached from the main dock but the posts are holding it in place and is now baling wired to the rest of the dock. Landing is finally closed. Lock is still letting people through and the brain surgeon wake surfing out there last weekend didn't seem lucky enough to find any of the large, partially submerged trees I moved off the dock.

Where are you in Northern, WI? Headed to Lake Tomahawk area late this week to enjoy some clean water, sun and some skiing. Good that the lakes are finally filling back in up there...it was needed!

Tomahawk area. Just south of Lake Tomahawk. Lakes are clear, warm, and full now. Enjoy your time in LT!

flipper
07-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Get a whole bunch of crap and anchor it to the bottom of the river to make them slow down to drive around it. Trees / buoys / Misc Lumber nailed together. Anchor w/ Concrete blocks or equivalent. I don't think I'd write my name on any of it though, also to be kind to the idiots, make sure it is visible from a distance...

That's the best idea I've herd yet

JohnnyB
07-27-2010, 09:24 PM
JB,

I will be up in Wautoma this weekend starting Thursday.

Let me know if you are still interested in pulling the docks. We can bring our atvs over and pull them out with chains (if your docks are the ones on wheels).:confused:

If it is in your best interest to pull them, let us know, I am sure peeps on the board would stop over to help.

RM

Much appreciated. Especially since its 75miles from Wautoma to me. I'll be OK. They're pretty much still holding. Docks are treated wood sections on galvanized pipe, screwed into the bottom. Only one section is pulled out a bit......I'll need to back out the pipes, reposition and screw back into the riverbed when the water goes down.

JohnnyB
07-27-2010, 09:26 PM

Plenty of large trees and crap floating around right now to run into. Buddy of mine pulled two large trees out of our slalom course over the weekend......it's still holding, too, amazingly.....finally found a good use for a personal water craft.

JohnnyB
05-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Instead of continuing to beotch about floods, I replaced the last 36ft of dock over the weekend with 32 feet of floating dock and an 8ft gang way. Got put to the test w 2 inches of rain last night. I think I am one of only two with a dock above water right now....only 2 floaters. :D

Water peaked at 2ft above flood stage.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Todd X14
05-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Excellent. looks like a professional install, with the expected results. good move.

JohnnyB
05-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Gotta re deck the old 2 sections to match

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk