PDA

View Full Version : Bent Strut HELP ?'s

Tenbrook
07-22-2010, 02:40 PM
I have a new to me 2006 Mastercraft X30 that I had out for the second time yesterday.

I'm driving along about 3 mph when all the sudden I hear a loud THUD and my boat stalls :mad:

Once I get to open space, I try a little more throttle and realize something is messed up, as there is a bunch of vibration. Took the boat out of the water to find my prop mangled and my prop strut bent.

I would like to order a new prop and strut and try and do the job myself. I understand that the best way to remove the strut is with a heat gun and a ratchet strap and to GO SLOW. Here are my questions:

1) How do I remove the shaft? Also, do I need a special tool to remove the coupler?

2) Is the ratchet strap/heat gun technique the right way to do the strut? Any tips?

3) Should I just take it to a dealer or is this a job I can do?

Thanks!

Tenbrook

TLR67
07-22-2010, 02:47 PM
The strut should come out without a heat gun....I just removed mine last night... Undo the internal bolts and tap them out.. Not too certain about the shaft in your boat but you will need a puller to remove the coupler on the shaft once removed from the tranny... I used a Flywheel Puller I got from a Autoparts store years ago.. Worked great..Rudder location will determine if you need to remove that as well.. I would go ahead and start looking for a prop, Strut then get the shaft inspected when you remove it.. My wife just damaged a Prop and bent a strut but my shaft held up fine... I am getting it checked though.. Also change the packing rope in your shaft basket as well... Good time to grease the rudder, check exhaust and all that stuff... This board is a great resource for info... Tackle it yourself and be back on the Lake in no time!!

Marc

brettmess24
07-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Wow u got lucky with your strut. Mine defenitely needed a heat gun to remove. I got mine pretty warm and lightly hit it with a rubber mallet. You won't need any special tools to remove the shaft from the trans, but that shaft nut is a bear to get off. To retighten the shaft nut I used a motion pro clutch holding tool for motorcycles. Worked great as I couldn't get my pneunatic tools inside my x1 because of the fuel tank you should have more room on yours.

brettmess24
07-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Oh and I saved $750 doing it myself.