PDA

View Full Version : Horse power rating??

Benzmac
07-04-2005, 10:28 PM
I have looked high and low and can't find one single piece of information on the horse power of the 454 in my 1990 Maristar 240.

It tops out at 42mph. I want more.

I am a Master Tech for Mercedes and have no problem working on it, but would like some suggestions.

Can you spin these engines up a little higher without hurting them?
Can you add power with cam, intake, and FUEL INJECTION? How about heads, are there any really good ones???

I love this boat and will keep it a long time.

Thanks!!!!! (I love this resource.)

SKI*MC
07-04-2005, 10:40 PM
Electronice ignition gives it more of a kick, maybe not more power, but a lot more responce. As for adding more and more power to an engine on a boat, might not be the best thing, adding power wont hurt it, but to an excess, like tring to get 50 or more out of it might not be too good for it.

6ballsisall
07-05-2005, 12:29 AM
I say the more power the merrier!

First things first, if you don't have an aftermarket prop get yourself one of these new CNC props if you are looking for more top end.

Heads, cam, etc.. will all yield more power, but don't forget these things like fuel bad enough as is, it will like it even more when you get done with that!

east tx skier
07-05-2005, 12:13 PM
If it's a 351W, some new heads ought to get you some more horses. If I recall, the GT40s yielded roughly 40 hp. The GT40p heads, according to what I read here, are a more modern design and will do you better.

I just added an Edelbrock performer intake and was very pleased with the bump in torque. The Edelbrock RPM might be better for top end, but I have no personal experience with them.

A more aggressive cam will bump it up as well.

Check this thread out.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=946&highlight=horsepower

Benzmac
07-05-2005, 07:23 PM
The engine is a 454. Anyway, What type of electronic ignition should I use? I will order it today.

Donnie