PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking noise from underneath

deereman
07-22-2010, 04:20 AM
Most of the time, just after slowing down and putting the boat in neutral, I hear a somewhat faint squeaking noise coming from the rear underneath the boat. Has anyone else ever heard of this? It almost sounds to me like the noise the strut bushings would make if you put in in gear out of water. Is this a possibility that it could be bad? This is happening when it's in the water. Just looking for suggestions on what this could be, and if it could be a serious problem. Thanks much

hkallestad
07-22-2010, 05:40 AM
Mine is singing a bit as well after putting it in neutral, I've had it for 2 seasons, strut bearings seems ok after checking them this winter. I'm not too worried about it;-)

deereman
07-22-2010, 10:59 AM
The strut bearing is the only thing that I would think would be a possibility.

joecarew3
07-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Your sure its not coming from under the motor box? No way its a belt, pulley, or possibly the tranny? If not than probably the strut? Never heard of it, I would check for play in your shaft. I really have no idea what else it could be.

TLR67
07-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Might be the shaft slowing down in the packing...That wax can make sounds...

hkallestad
07-23-2010, 07:39 AM
I have the gore tex packing from skidim.

MikeR
07-26-2010, 06:21 PM
I have something like that too-- a sort of squeak/squeal that tapers off over a second or two just as I shift into neutral. I suspect it is the strut bearing... We just got this boat used, and I'm a complete Newb... but I've discovered that it takes 2 hands to turn the prop when in neutral, so something is not aligned right. I'm hoping once I figure out the alignment the squeak will go away as well...
The packing the boat came with (wax/rope) was leaking badly, so I replaced it with the Gore, and on our next outing the squeak appeared (but we'd only had it out once before, so not much comparison...) BTW-- the new packing is still leaking too much, don't know if it's not tight enough or maybe a bent shaft?
Let me know if you figure it out!

hkallestad
07-26-2010, 06:27 PM
2 hands is way too much I believe. Did you cut the rope and stuff it as per procedure?

MikeR
07-27-2010, 02:29 AM
Followed the procedure for the Gore packing exactly (and did a lot of reading on these forums as well, quite helpful!) Replaced the 3 rope pieces with Gore pieces. I only tightened it hand tight, although it went from loose to "tight" very quickly, I'd expected to feel some "squish" as the packing tightened, instead it just seemed to suddenly "bottom out". Last weekend it was dripping pretty steady even when the shaft wasn't turning... but we just went out and relied on the bilge pump. The next day it seemed to be leaking a lot less, though hard to tell with some water in the bilge.
I don't think the prop being hard to turn is related to the packing (but I guess I can't be sure as I haven't loosened the packing and tried turning the shaft yet) It just feels way too tight to be coming from the packing that I only hand-tightened. I think it's an alignment and/or prop shaft issue that's causing the stiff turning prop (I've got another post related to this going already)-- so I suspect that the misaligned or bent shaft is putting a load on the strut bearing, which then squeaks as the shaft "spins down" when going into neutral.
I'm hoping once I get the prop to spin freely that the squeak will go away as well.

ORX-1
07-27-2010, 06:42 PM
I get the same noise but mine is when I first pop it in gear and I hear it till about 1000 rpms... I figured its the alignment of the shaft. My dealer says they really don't know how to do an allignment; so that's cool.

MikeR
08-13-2010, 01:40 PM
We had a mechanic look at our boat (just bought it used) since it makes the squeak right after shifting into neutral; he said everything is fine, so I guess I'm going to ignore it for now! Next season I'll check the alignment myself...

oldairboater
08-13-2010, 01:50 PM
I would have turned the prop without the packing by hand just to see how the strut and transmission drag felt without packing friction. We always did that when we replaced packing when I was in high school just to get a feel of friction as we installed the packing. We would gently use the packing nut as a slide hammer to seat the packing before the next wrap.

MikeR
10-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Long overdue followup on this post -- in case someone else needs to know for future research. The next season I did a coupler alignment. The coupler aligned very nicely-- BUT it took some significant pull to move the shaft into alignment with the coupler i.e. when the coupler halves were centered they were nice and parallel-- but the natural "rest" position of the separated couplers was nowhere near centered. I realized that my strut was ever so slightly bent (or maybe poorly assembled at the factory) so that the natural position of the shaft through the strut was actually hitting the side of the packing log. Inside when the coupler halves were connected things were parallel / aligned -- so the loading on the V-drive is OK; but it meant that the shaft was being pulled a bit tilted up/down in the strut bearing. On the back of the strut bearing I could see a small gap at the top of the shaft, and at the front of the strut bearing there was a gap at the bottom as the shaft was being pulled "up" to get into alignment with the packing log. There was still plenty of "meat" left in the strut bearing even though it was being loaded by the shaft being pulled up from the natural position. I talked to a mechanic who said not to worry about it, as long as the couplers were parallel it wouldn't damage anything. The shaft had also been difficult to turn, so this misalignment throuigh the strut also explained why it was hard to turn the shaft. Aligning the motor would not help as the natural position through the strut actually hit the log-- so it was not the motor misaligned with the shaft, but the strut aiming the shaft in the wrong direction slightly.
I suspect the mechanic may be technically correct that it would work fine as is; but I felt that the strut bearing would wear out more quickly with that side load on them. I decided to replace the strut, although probably it would have been fine for many many more hours... I guess I'm getting to be a bit of a perfectionist.
So I replaced the strut and then re-aligned the engine. My shaft turns easily now.
Also, the squeak noise is gone-- I think the squeak was the tight and side-loaded strut bearing making a little noise as the prop spun down when going into neutral.
Problem solved, though the new strut was kinda pricey!