PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Sending Unit Calibration

Shaun315
07-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Before I bought my 2006 X10 MCX, the previous owner had a new sending unit installed for the fuel gauge. I don't think it's quite calibrated though, as it doesn't quite read FULL when full and at about 1/2 a tank still reads 3/4.

I figure I can adjust the potentiometer for the FULL end of the tank, since I just filled the boat up, by adjusting the pot until the gauge reads full.

My question is will I be able to set the Empty end of the tank? I don't want to drain the tank or run it down below 1/4 of a tank, so I'm thinking I'll run it about 1/2 out of gas and adjust the other pot until the gauge reads 1/2 - fill it up to see how much gas it takes and re-adjust if needed.

Anyone got any other ideas or am I headed down the right path? Or maybe by correcting the FULL reading, it'll fix the correlation across the rest of the gauge range?

Skipper
07-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Adjusting when full is supposed to adjust the sending unit.

Jesus_Freak
07-22-2010, 01:35 PM
My question is will I be able to set the Empty end of the tank? I don't want to drain the tank or run it down below 1/4 of a tank, so I'm thinking I'll run it about 1/2 out of gas and adjust the other pot until the gauge reads 1/2 - fill it up to see how much gas it takes and re-adjust if needed.

I am not fully aware of your boat's fuel tank / hull configuration, but can you not remove your sending unit, hold it in the air, and let that be your guide for the "empty" calibration?

Shaun315
07-22-2010, 11:22 PM
I am not fully aware of your boat's fuel tank / hull configuration, but can you not remove your sending unit, hold it in the air, and let that be your guide for the "empty" calibration?

That's plan B, for the end of the season if needed. I'll try the FULL calibration setting first, see how things go this weekend after I run some gas out and see how much it takes to fill it back up.

I have a feeling there's two potentiometers for a reason and I may end up doing this... I would have hoped the mechanic that put the new sender in would have set the gauge for Empty before it went into the tank... guess I'll find out.