PDA

View Full Version : Prop nut from Grainger?

mgurley
07-21-2010, 02:19 PM
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1FA63?cm_mmc=Google%20Base-_-Fasteners-_-Nuts-_-1FA63

Anybody see any reason not to use this??? $1.75 compared to $10 @ skidim...plus I can get it faster?

oldairboater
07-21-2010, 02:34 PM
What is it made of compared to what Skidim sells? If it is the same okay---but I doubt it. I like the word marine sometimes in front of my part.

mgurley
07-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Both are brass??? I know what you mean...

Luv2Ski
07-21-2010, 02:49 PM
If the specs match (assume you checked that, I would have to crawl under there and measure to verify), I don't see any issues. For insurance, be sure you cotter pin is installed and be sure that if the prop comes loose it can't contact the rudder.

KHall
07-21-2010, 03:29 PM
If thread matches i would use it. In fact i am going to go get one from them.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Sure looks like the same thing.

timvan
07-22-2010, 06:44 AM
I know my eyes are different than yours...but I see a locknut with nylon insert, not a castle nut for use with a cotter pin

east tx skier
07-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Nylock is what most of the boats are using today.

/still has a castlelock.

Honkity Hank
07-22-2010, 12:10 PM
I would check the grade stamp and make sure it is compliant.

slickwater1
07-22-2010, 12:59 PM
it is the same thing.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-22-2010, 01:18 PM
I know my eyes are different than yours...but I see a locknut with nylon insert, not a castle nut for use with a cotter pin

OK, the drawing from the Grainger site looks much larger. :D

Right from the SKIDIM website:

D.I.M. has a large selection of nuts, keys, and cotter pins in both brass and stainless steel. We recommend the nylock nut over the castle nut. If you have a Nautique with the castle nut and replace it with the nylock it will cover the hole for the cotter pin, but we have yet to hear of anyone losing a prop with the nylock nut (we know several that have lost them using the castle nut).

mgurley
07-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Based on all the measurements and what nots they appear to be identical...I'll post some pics of my OEM and the grainger one side by side when I get it...

Also if you are ever in a pinch I was looking at West Marine and they have a Mercruiser prop nut that also looks to be identical they get about 9 bucks for it...they also have the stainless steel cotter pins.

east tx skier
07-22-2010, 03:18 PM
OK, the drawing from the Grainger site looks much larger. :D

Right from the SKIDIM website:

...If you have a Nautique with the castle nut and replace it with the nylock it will cover the hole for the cotter pin, but we have yet to hear of anyone losing a prop with the nylock nut (we know several that have lost them using the castle nut).

That's because I never called them when the nylock nut on my old MC backed off. Luckily, there was the tried and true cotter pin to save the day. I might try another one if there were a smaller one that didn't cover the cotter pin hole. Until then, I'm sticking with the castle nut and cotter pin combination.

TLR67
07-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Nylock and Loctite here.... With a cotter Pin in as well...

thatsmrmastercraft
07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
That's because I never called them when the nylock nut on my old MC backed off. Luckily, there was the tried and true cotter pin to save the day. I might try another one if there were a smaller one that didn't cover the cotter pin hole. Until then, I'm sticking with the castle nut and cotter pin combination.

My boat came with all new running gear including the castle nut, so I haven't been in a big hurry to change things. In this situation, new isn't necessarily improved.

ColinP
07-22-2010, 04:58 PM
thank u for the find!