PDA

View Full Version : Location of field wire?

Ubugme2
07-20-2010, 08:57 PM
I have a 85 351W in my skier. Alternator Is rebuild and good. Motor dies when i pull neg batt cable and will stay running if i jump a hot to the post where i am guessing the field wire should be.

Anyone Know where i should have my feild wire coming from and where it connects for sure?

Ubugme2
07-20-2010, 09:15 PM
ok found the supply wire off the alt not connected to anything on the aft end of the motor. it has a eye let connector on it. WHERE does it connect???

Jerseydave
07-20-2010, 09:58 PM
ok found the supply wire off the alt not connected to anything on the aft end of the motor. it has a eye let connector on it. WHERE does it connect???

Sounds like you found the "hot" wire that goes on the post of the alt. Check it with a test light to make sure it's hot. Disconnect battery first, then connect that wire to the large post of the alt.

Did someone else take the alt off and get it rebuilt for you and not tell you how to re-install it?

Ubugme2
07-20-2010, 10:09 PM
its connected to alt but no where at back of motor

JimN
07-20-2010, 10:14 PM
I have a 85 351W in my skier. Alternator Is rebuild and good. Motor dies when i pull neg batt cable and will stay running if i jump a hot to the post where i am guessing the field wire should be.

Anyone Know where i should have my feild wire coming from and where it connects for sure?

Why not ask whoever rebuilt it. You may be bypassing the regulator when you connect that wire and that's bad for the regulator. Does it have EXC next to that post?

Ubugme2
07-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Sorry if this is sounding complicated. Forget the alt ever came off, its not the prob. The power wire from the alt that has NEVER been touched from the time i got the boat is NOT CONNECTED under the plastic PCM cover on the back of the motor.

I only need to know where the wire i found not connected is supposed to go.

JimN
07-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Sorry if this is sounding complicated. Forget the alt ever came off, its not the prob. The power wire from the alt that has NEVER been touched from the time i got the boat is NOT CONNECTED under the plastic PCM cover on the back of the motor.

I only need to know where the wire i found not connected is supposed to go.

Photos might help. If it was under the cover from new, it's not needed. If the alternator is the one-wire type, it only energizes when it's rotating. The vintage of the boat tells me that this may be the case. If a one-wire alternator loses its battery connection, it won't send current because the field isn't energized and if tehre's no 12V coming from that, the ignition coil doesn't get anything, either.

Ubugme2
07-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Ok i think that wire is a option for my boat...

I thinking maybe the voltmeter is the reason the system is not charging the batt.

How do you remove the dash to remove/replace voltmeter.