PDA

View Full Version : Lake Funk on hull

NatesGr8
07-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Whats the best way to get this gross lake scum off my hull??? I usually trailer and wash after every day, but this weekend i left her in the water for a couple days and now i've got all sorts of grossness on the water line.

RackAtak
07-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Babe's Boat Bright took care of mine after leaving the boat in the water for a week. Mostly that red dirt water stain on my white hull.

airwear
07-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Starbright Hull Cleaner. It is awesome. My boat has been sitting in the water for the past 2 months. I just put it on a lift this weekend and used this cleaner and the algae and other scum was gone instantly. After a good waxing the hull is as good as new.

BriEOD
07-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Just a comment ... I put a fresh coat of Meguiars wax on before I left for vacation. My boat was in the lake all week (slept on a lift at night). After I pulled it and towed it home I used some car wash soap and a sponge and it looked good as new with minimal effort. A good coat of wax goes a long way.

NatesGr8
07-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Picked up some starbrite hull cleaner and it works wonders. It's on to the wax now, probably 2 or 3 coats, should be a fun day around and under the boat :dance:

Ric
07-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Picked up some starbrite hull cleaner and it works wonders. It's on to the wax now, probably 2 or 3 coats, should be a fun day around and under the boat :dance:
yes, you must wax it immediately afterward and keep it waxed like bri to keep it off
I have never used starbrite but I do get lake scum (no, not the girls, just the gelcoat stains) and have used scrub free soap scum remover that you'd use on a shower and it works VERY well but you MUST wax afterward or you'll be doing it again real soon.

vino357
07-05-2005, 01:39 PM
One thing I have found, Bio Kleen. It's envroment friendly and you can just add it to the warm water your washing your boat with. I have a small squirt bottle for stubborn spots. I guess one thing that makes the differnence is what kind of shape your gel coats in.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-05-2005, 03:15 PM
I have never used starbrite but I do get lake scum (no, not the girls, just the gelcoat stains).

:purplaugh BWAAAHH!!!!

See, we can never get the "right" kind of lake scum......LOL :uglyhamme

The only kind of lake scum that my boat picks up is the algae on the hull..... :(

ajgressette
07-05-2005, 03:22 PM
F.R.S. by Davis :twocents:

ssippiriverrat
07-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Last night I used that On & Off Hull cleaner and that worked like a charm--it is tough stuff though--there were alot of vapors. Make sure that you are in an open area if you use it. :)

MarkP
07-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Last night I used that On & Off Hull cleaner and that worked like a charm--it is tough stuff though--there were alot of vapors. Make sure that you are in an open area if you use it. :)Dont forget to wax it up;)

Kevin 89MC
08-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Starbrite didn't even touch my brown "lake line". From recommendations on another post, I found a local distrubuter of MaryKate's "On and Off" cleaner, which was also highly recommended by the store (US Marine I think). It's got like 3 acids in it. I'll use it this weekend and post the results. I'll try to remember to take a "before" and "after" picture.
Kevin

Crash
08-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Check this post out....

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=957&highlight=lysol

WallenpaupackPA
08-11-2005, 06:32 PM
This works like a charm:

Get a spray bottle. Put in it a 50%/50% mixture of Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner (the thick blue stuff) and hydrogen peroxide. Spray it on, agitate it a little bit with a scrub brush (I have one on a long handle). Rinse the hull and trailer well. Wax. It will GLEAM.

This magic formula has a short shelf life before it loses it's effectiveness, so just mix up what you expect to use for one cleaning. If you try this, you will likely never spend money on those other commercial cleaners again. This is a very inexpensive solution that is incredibly effective.