PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing Sound in Stereo

bfinley
07-19-2010, 12:15 PM
I put a couple amps in my 2006 X2 this weekend. It sounds great and the stereo rocks, however, I get some buzzing interfence noise when the boat is running. It sounds fine when the key is in the "accessory" position, but when the boat is running, I get some buzzing/humming distortion.

I am currently running only 1 battery, but in the near future I will be adding a second battery with a Blue Seas ACR: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OTIPDQ/ref=pd_luc_mri?ie=UTF8&m=A1PC5XI7QQLW5G

Will this fix the buzzing sound? Any other suggestions?

east tx skier
07-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Are your power wires run right next to your speaker wires or RCA cables?

Kyle
07-19-2010, 03:26 PM
If the battery cables at the battery or the positive and negative that are runnin to the amp, are run next to the speaker wire or the RCA cables you will have this problem. If you add another battery you will still have this problem. You are getting alternator noise. Did you use good quality power wire and speaker wire?

bfinley
07-19-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm quite sure the power wires are not run near the speaker wires, but I'll check this out tonight and make sure.

J NORRIS
07-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Kyle you got it, the power lines are run next to the rca cables.
Keep power lines and rca away from one another and it will go away.

JimN
07-19-2010, 04:25 PM
If you unplug the RCA cables, I can almost guarantee that the noise will go away. If it does, it's probably due to a ground loop, which means there's resistance between the amp and head unit because the head unit is grounded to the dash wiring and the amp is grounded directly to the battery. Disconnect the head unit from the dash ground wire, connect a ring terminal to it and use the stud on the case to attach the terminal to the case, along with the strap that supports the rear of the head unit. In addition to that ground, run a ground wire from the head unit and connect it to the amp's ground terminal (if you're using distribution blocks, just connect to that) and to the same stud on the rear of the head unit. The noise should be gone.

If you turn the key to ON and set the volume to minimum, you should hear no hiss. If you do, the input sensitivity controls on the amp(s) are set too high. Go to the JL Audio website and look for their procedure for setting levels on a system. it's the best method I have seen made available to consumers.

Kyle
07-20-2010, 12:36 AM
If you unplug the RCA cables, I can almost guarantee that the noise will go away. If it does, it's probably due to a ground loop, which means there's resistance between the amp and head unit because the head unit is grounded to the dash wiring and the amp is grounded directly to the battery. Disconnect the head unit from the dash ground wire, connect a ring terminal to it and use the stud on the case to attach the terminal to the case, along with the strap that supports the rear of the head unit. In addition to that ground, run a ground wire from the head unit and connect it to the amp's ground terminal (if you're using distribution blocks, just connect to that) and to the same stud on the rear of the head unit. The noise should be gone.

If you turn the key to ON and set the volume to minimum, you should hear no hiss. If you do, the input sensitivity controls on the amp(s) are set too high. Go to the JL Audio website and look for their procedure for setting levels on a system. it's the best method I have seen made available to consumers.

Very good info here.

I had to do just this on an old head unit that I had because the internal ground went bad. Some thing with a non-marine head unit after a few years and grounds inside got corroded due to moisture.