PDA

View Full Version : 82 S&S battery Question

hosofpayne
07-19-2010, 10:24 AM
when replacing the battery of inboard boat do i need to use a deep cycle marine batt. or can i use a auto batt. that is a sealed unit?

oldairboater
07-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Battery's are not all the same. I prefer marine batteries. A battery discussion is like an oil discussion---. A sealed car battery will work if it has sufficient cranking amps. I prefer marine batteries and have nothing but opinion to back that choice. I have used different batteries at different times in my life on many different types of boats. I may not buy the most expensive of anything but I never buy cheap is the best advice I have. Get a good sealed marine battery that has more cranking power then you will ever need. You need a good cranking battery and not a deep cycle.

ski_king
07-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Over the last 28 years, I have tried just about every type of battery out there on my 82.

It seems, I could only get about 3 years out of any of them, regardless of type, car, deep cycle, etc.

I now have a Optima Red Top and have had it for 5 years without a problem. Some may tell you to get the Yellow or Blue Top Optima, but when I needed on, the Red Top was all they had on the shelf and I wanted to get out on the water asap.