PDA

View Full Version : bent prop of something

etnovass
07-19-2010, 09:42 AM
hi im new to the site i just bought a 2006 X-45. it was time to up grade from my malibu. LOL
I have had the boat out twice and the last time i hit a 2X4 in the middle of the lake at about 30MPH the boat shakes real bad now. i cant see any damage on the prop but the prop wobbles when it is started out of the water. if i stand behind the boat the shaft looks like it is off to the the left of the rudder. is that normal? can a prop be bent with out showing damage? any help would be great

06197ttlq9-footer
07-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Sounds like you may have bent the prop shaft. The prop may be ok, the shaft might have taken the brunt of the force. The rudders are off set to one side. Take the prop of and look at it more closely. Turn the shaft with the prop off and see if it still seems out of balance.

mccobmd
07-19-2010, 11:19 AM
I had a similar thing happen. Also was confused about the shaft but it is normal. My prop didn't look off to the naked eye but even a 1-2 degree change in the pitch to one of the blades will cause significant problems. I'd bet on the prop.

etnovass
07-19-2010, 01:55 PM
thank you guy im going to pull the prop today and look at the shaft. thank you for the info.

brettmess24
07-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Be sure to inspect the strut as well.

76S&S
07-19-2010, 05:16 PM
AFTER pulling the prop, you can crank the engine put it in gear and rev slightly. Place a wrench on the prop shaft while it is spinning. If it sits there the shaft isn't bent, if the wrench jumps off of the shaft, the shaft is bent.

TallRedRider
07-19-2010, 06:21 PM
I have a spare 13.7 X 19.5 prop if you want it. I bought it used off Ebay. That was the stock prop on the X45 that year. It works perfectly, it has been reworked but is perfectly balanced. I never used it, but a friend of mine with a 2007 X45 needed it to save his weekend once and said it was perfect without any vibration. Send me a PM if you are interested.

As was said above, your prop may be bent so slightly that you don't see it. It might be more obvious once you take it off and lay it on some flat concrete.

etnovass
07-20-2010, 09:11 PM
well i pulled the prop and set it on the ground. it rocks a little bit. like a 1/4 or less. when it was on the boat it looked a lot worse. the shaft dose not look bent. i started and put it in gear and it still did not look bent so i took a big wrench and put it over the shaft and it did not bounce or anything i ran a wrench up the shaft and it looked good. so i think im good with the shaft. looks like im in the market for a new prop. thank you guys for all the help

Eagle Lake Rebel
07-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Running the prop shaft out of the water....not a good idea. The carrier bearing in the shaft strut is cooled/lubricated by the lake water (no water & it gets very hot very fast). The correct way to check for a bent shaft is to put a dial indicator gauge on the shaft, zero the gauge, rotate the shaft BY HAND 360 degrees and record the max dial movement summing the negative and positive readings to get total runout. A wrentch is not going to tell you you have .050 of runout.

Eagle Lake Rebel
07-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Forgot to add check the shaft in at least 3 places.

bturner2
07-21-2010, 08:38 AM
OJ does excellent work in fixing props from all manufactures. Give Eric a call there and he'll get you squared away.