PDA

View Full Version : Carb Bowl Full of Corrosion - Rebuild or Replace

Nvrgvup
07-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Pulled the secondary bowl yesterday day to find it full of deposits mostly from the bowl corroding and the coating coming off. Carb was replaced in 06' by previous owner. What the heck.

Cleaned it out best I could. Running OK. Didn't pull the primary bowl to check that yet.

Going to call Holley tomorrow. Guess there was a problem in that time frame with their castings corroding. Maybe they can help.

If they can't help wondering if I should they to get it rebuilt or just get a new one. I fear with the corrosion it just will continue unless it's replaced.

tech18428
07-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Get a new one the corrosion is not going to stop, with the fuels we use today it will only get worse. Think Lake Time

Nvrgvup
07-18-2010, 08:07 PM
There are some companies that sell rebuilt ones on-line with a warranty for a couple hundred bucks less than a new one.

What's the thought on new vs rebuilt?

Thanks

oldairboater
07-18-2010, 11:29 PM
I would just clean the corrosion out and check it later or until I have a carb problem. Just my way.

Nvrgvup
07-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Called Holley and told them of the problem and that the fuel bowl was corroding. I asked them with the corrosion if I could rebuild and if it would continue.

The tech asked for the carb numbers and then told me if I send it back they will send me a new one. The build date was within a time when they were having casting problems and they corroded prematurely. No questions asked. I was floored. In reality they didn't need to do anything, this is a 4 year old carb. What an example of amazing customer service and really standing behind their products.

Nvrgvup
07-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Here's a pic of the secondary bowl.

Corroding like crazy.

Nvrgvup
07-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Forgot the pic