PDA

View Full Version : Any tree experts out there??

Ski-me
07-18-2010, 12:23 PM
I have these Aspen or Quaking Aspen trees in my back yard and notice that the top portions of a few trees don't have any leaves on it. Are these basically dead at the top and will never sprout again or do I need to wait a few years? I was thinking about trimming off the dead limbs down to the leaves on the (2 of 4 tree set) and almost all of the single tree (1 of 2).

Is there any harm in trimming them down so much? I just hate looking at the dead stick portion of the trees.

Thanks!

TX.X-30 fan
07-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Aspen are kinda a crap tree huh? I thought they were the stuff that grow up after a fire in that country?

TX.X-30 fan
07-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Nothing personal

Slinkyredfoot
07-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Crop the dead stuff out of the tops and see how they do in the following months, if they still struggle get rid of them

Thrall
07-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Look just like alot of the aspens/quakies in my yard. I let them go a year and when they didn't come back, cut off everything that was dead. I now have a bunch of nice aspen "bushes".
They will live.

Ski-me
07-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Look just like alot of the aspens/quakies in my yard. I let them go a year and when they didn't come back, cut off everything that was dead. I now have a bunch of nice aspen "bushes".
They will live.

They are a couple years old now but wanted to wait to see if they would bloom or not. The single one looked dead for a long time until a few leaves sprouted. I guess it's not totally dead!:rolleyes:

thanks for the feedback.

ski_king
07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
I agree, trim the dead stuff.

To me, the trees look to close, I thought you need to space them 10 to 15 feet apart.

psychobilly
07-20-2010, 06:52 AM
make sure you paint the cut off to keep it from rotting.