PDA

View Full Version : exhaust hose burned through on prostar 197

chriscpmtmp
07-17-2010, 06:26 PM
I picked up a used prostar 197 yesterday.

oldairboater
07-18-2010, 12:05 AM
What was your fix?

FrankSchwab
07-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Check the raw water impeller, and check everything from the hull inlet to the raw water pump to see if there's weeds and crap blocking the water flow. If the exhaust hose is burned through, it means there was no water running through it.

/frank

chriscpmtmp
07-20-2010, 10:00 AM
What was your fix?

My original fix was to get my money back, which I did. I tried to just delete this thread as a courtesy to the seller to not hamper his resale efforts. I couldn't delete it, so I edited it.

Now that I have more info, this is sort of a big deal. There was a service bulletin by Indmar and MC to replace the stainless steel 3.5 inch elbows that cause uneven heat distribution and ultimately cause the rubber hose to fail. They are very clear that all units are to be replaced in the 2007 model boats, and all parts on the shelf are to be returned.

So this is a 2008 and MC delivered it with the old elbows. ***!!!!!

The dealer did all the maintenance for 2 years and never even looked. ***!!!!

To make it worse, the hose for the heater was routed over the feed for the manifold and reduced the flow by 50% or so, making the existing KNOWN problem worse. ***!!!

In the two years the boat was serviced, nobody noticed the hose partially collapsed. I learned to live with this poor service from Malibu, but hoped MC would be better at quality checks.

So I'm in a bad place. I sold my old boat quickly at a discount when I had this sale on the table. I can't go back. I was getting a good deal on this one. So my choice is shop for something else, or take the good deal on this one. Both MC and Indmar refuse to extend the warranty beyond April of next year. I know its just to be cheap, but it doesn't instill confidence.

I ran this by several auto engineers. I was concerned that the boat went into torque limiting mode when the hose was damaged. However, this seems OK since the boat controller could tell when the hole was patched.

I'm considering taking this boat after the repairs. I'm 99% sure there is no long term damage, but maybe I'm missing something.

Also, I'll try to upload the service notice. The proper elbow has a "8" stamped on it. I'd say anyone with Cats should check their boats.