PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pouring into Secondaries - Help

Nvrgvup
07-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Went to go out tonight and boat wouldn't idle. Even after warming it up for a while.

Started to see this issue last week however after we went out it was fine.

Pulled flame arrestor and to my surprise there was raw fuel pouring out of both secondary venturis. Well found the problem why it was running like crap.

Now how do I fix it? It was and has been running fine. Previous owner replaced the carb with a new marine 4160 couple years back. I don't believe there is an external float adjusts.

I'm guessing that it isn't out of adjustment since it has been running OK. I'm thinking there is crap stuck in the seat or the float is bad. If I remove the bowl will I need to replace the gasket or should it be OK.

Thanks a million.

Footin
07-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Try tapping on the outside of the carb with the handle of a screw driver around the floats.
If the floats are stuck this may help them move. The carb should be taken apart and cleaned to be fixed right.

oldairboater
07-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Like above float stuck. Tapping usually works---use a soft object to tap with and not a hard metal.

Luv2Ski
07-17-2010, 01:54 PM
If you have to take it apart, you will probably need new seals. Even those awesome new blue ones Holley puts into their new carbs tend to get stuck after a few years. Many local auto parts stores carry just the seals though so it will be inexpensive.

Nvrgvup
07-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Decided to open it up.

Drained the bowl and found deposits in the fuel.

Opened it up and find the inside of the bowl was full of deposits and the coating was corroding off. Well that will do it. Tried to clean it up best I could. Precious owner replaced carb in 06'. I can't believe there is that much corrosion and junk in there.

He also removed the water separator. Maybe that has something to do with it. I have it. Maybe time to put it back in. Where does it go?

Put it back together and it seems like it is running good / OK. I just know I am going to have problems with it plugging up.

oldairboater
07-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I own several boats and I would not run one here without a water/fuel separator filter. Ethanol is bad for fuel systems through several different actions. Filter is necessary to prevent work and break downs.

Nvrgvup
07-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks for all the help.

Where does the water separator mount? It was removed so I don't know where it goes.

Before or after the pump? There is an in-line filter but not the large Fram filter / separator.