PDA

View Full Version : DFW Crew, Glass question...

MakeMineaS&S
07-16-2010, 07:53 PM
There seems to be a decent amount of people here from the D/FW area in Texas. I'm less than 10 minutes from Eagle Mountain lake, and so I go there pretty much all the time, (convenience and all). However, getting good glassy water there is nearly impossible in the last few weeks, even pre-dawn. It just seems to be a very windy lake. Plus, on the weekends, it's ridiculously crowded.

Where are some good places in D/FW, (say, within an hour of Eagle Mountain), that I can get good glassy water. As it is, I'll ski when the wind is anything less than 10MPH, and less than 5MPH is like heaven, but it still sucks for skiing and the ride is brutal at anything over 7-8.

Advice?

tex
07-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Move away...get up north...that water here sucks!

03 35th Anniversary
07-16-2010, 09:12 PM
All I can say is start hitting different lakes till you find a nice spot. Every place I used to play in, is way over run now!

I'm thinking about moving North to Keller, Tx.

MakeMineaS&S
07-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Might just have to start doing that. Haven't heard many good things about the local lakes, (at least for glassy water skiing), and before it was never a big deal because I really didn't ski, but now I'm getting into it, and am finding that I am REALLY wanting smoother water.

ncsone
07-16-2010, 11:51 PM
If you are going to hit a public lake make sure to go real early. That is about your only shot. We have a lot of water around here, but more boaters than available water.

MakeMineaS&S
07-17-2010, 01:17 AM
Yep, on the water between 0630 and 0700, (since dawn is usually around 0630, and you can't ski until right before it anyway), and only during the week if I can help it.

Still, the killer is the wind. It's HORRIBLE.

Will be out this Sunday, but only because a friend of mine really wants to go.

tex
07-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Yep, on the water between 0630 and 0700, (since dawn is usually around 0630, and you can't ski until right before it anyway), and only during the week if I can help it.

Still, the killer is the wind. It's HORRIBLE.

Will be out this Sunday, but only because a friend of mine really wants to go.

Just kidding about moving north. Check out our places at www.metroplexskiclub.com

I may be out on Eagle Mountain Sunday. I will be on my brother in law's blue Supra.

east tx skier
07-17-2010, 01:18 PM
If you are going to hit a public lake make sure to go real early. That is about your only shot. We have a lot of water around here, but more boaters than available water.

This is why there are a lot of low hour ski boats in Dallas that have had regular use. Run early and put away quick.

MakeMineaS&S
07-17-2010, 01:39 PM
This is why there are a lot of low hour ski boats in Dallas that have had regular use. Run early and put away quick.

Yep. I'm on the water early, and off no later than 1100 usually.

The biggest problem is when I try to invite people out. I try to make it as sweet as possible. No gas money, no equipment, no drinks, just show up and I'll provide everything, (you can tell I'm hurting for people to come out), and they're excited, "Oh YEAH! What time?"

"Be at my place by 6AM sharp, we're on the water by 630."

"Ummm, uh, yeah, ummm. I don't wanna go now."

"Why not?"

"That's too friggin' early."

"That's when the water and wind is best to go ski, never mind the heat of the day."

"Well, I just wanna cruise around the lake and drink beer. Can't we go out at like 2PM?"

::Bangs head against wall::

Just kidding about moving north. Check out our places at www.metroplexskiclub.com

I may be out on Eagle Mountain Sunday. I will be on my brother in law's blue Supra.

Can anyone ski there, or only club members? I noticed some leasing stuff on there about Marine Creek Lake. Wanna maybe check out some places, but don't wanna run afoul of the club or the local constabulary.

I'm not good enough to be part of a club yet, but would still like some decent water for training right now. I would like to join a club someday, and they look like the right ticket.

tex
07-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Yep. I'm on the water early, and off no later than 1100 usually.

The biggest problem is when I try to invite people out. I try to make it as sweet as possible. No gas money, no equipment, no drinks, just show up and I'll provide everything, (you can tell I'm hurting for people to come out), and they're excited, "Oh YEAH! What time?"

"Be at my place by 6AM sharp, we're on the water by 630."

"Ummm, uh, yeah, ummm. I don't wanna go now."

"Why not?"

"That's too friggin' early."

"That's when the water and wind is best to go ski, never mind the heat of the day."

"Well, I just wanna cruise around the lake and drink beer. Can't we go out at like 2PM?"

::Bangs head against wall::

Can anyone ski there, or only club members? I noticed some leasing stuff on there about Marine Creek Lake. Wanna maybe check out some places, but don't wanna run afoul of the club or the local constabulary.

I'm not good enough to be part of a club yet, but would still like some decent water for training right now. I would like to join a club someday, and they look like the right ticket.

Don't let your skill level keep you away....we have all levels. Only club members can ski on the lake. Good people and a 2 great sites! PM me some contact info and I will hook you up!

MakeMineaS&S
07-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Well, was out today on Eagle Mountain, with a buddy who hadn't skied in 10 years, (his claim). Popped up pretty quick on the long line, but had balance issues and would fall fairly quick. Still said he had a blast and wants to come out again.

I did some combo skiing and practiced "jumping" over the wake. Sometimes got some nice air, other times, well, it looked awesome from the boat anyway. Did a couple of slalom starts and ski-drops, and my balance is getting better and I'm staying up longer. I'm THIS close to really nailing one ski. I guess it's like riding a bike, there's a learning curve, but once you got it, you got it forever.

Cruised south and checked out the south end. Not much going on, (it was kind of a slow Sunday), and it was choppier, so we headed back up north. While heading northbound, just south of the little island in the middle of the lake, we passed another MC heading south. It was an open-bow and it looked like a '90s-era paint scheme. (I'm not good enough yet to tell year, model and options at a glance.) :o Anyone here? If so, we were the grey/blue S&S that waved at y'all.

Up north there were a few skiers on I/Os, a couple came in the cove, and we waved and gave each other room. Saw a couple of 'em slaloming and doing well.

We usually put in at the little marina at the end of Peden Rd, then head to that first little "cove" up north, with all the houses there. Nice windblock and the water was actually really nice today, (at least nice for Eagle Mountain). Got a later start then I wanted, and didn't hit the water until nearly 0700, and we were off by 1100, but only because I was getting a lot of sun on my face, despite lotion and a hat. I had some more pulls in me, but eh, there's always next time.

All in all a good day!

ncsone
07-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Glad to hear it worked out for you today. Sometimes you just never know - you go expecting the worse and it turns out to be not too bad.

tex
07-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Well, was out today on Eagle Mountain, with a buddy who hadn't skied in 10 years, (his claim). Popped up pretty quick on the long line, but had balance issues and would fall fairly quick. Still said he had a blast and wants to come out again.

I did some combo skiing and practiced "jumping" over the wake. Sometimes got some nice air, other times, well, it looked awesome from the boat anyway. Did a couple of slalom starts and ski-drops, and my balance is getting better and I'm staying up longer. I'm THIS close to really nailing one ski. I guess it's like riding a bike, there's a learning curve, but once you got it, you got it forever.

Cruised south and checked out the south end. Not much going on, (it was kind of a slow Sunday), and it was choppier, so we headed back up north. While heading northbound, just south of the little island in the middle of the lake, we passed another MC heading south. It was an open-bow and it looked like a '90s-era paint scheme. (I'm not good enough yet to tell year, model and options at a glance.) :o Anyone here? If so, we were the grey/blue S&S that waved at y'all.

Up north there were a few skiers on I/Os, a couple came in the cove, and we waved and gave each other room. Saw a couple of 'em slaloming and doing well.

We usually put in at the little marina at the end of Peden Rd, then head to that first little "cove" up north, with all the houses there. Nice windblock and the water was actually really nice today, (at least nice for Eagle Mountain). Got a later start then I wanted, and didn't hit the water until nearly 0700, and we were off by 1100, but only because I was getting a lot of sun on my face, despite lotion and a hat. I had some more pulls in me, but eh, there's always next time.

All in all a good day!

We missed you. Spent our time at the damn!

MakeMineaS&S
07-18-2010, 06:00 PM
We missed you. Spent our time at the damn!

Popped down there, but turned back a little ways from it. It did seem to clear up some near the dam, that's for sure. The middle of the lake was pretty chopped up.

pkskier
07-19-2010, 10:18 AM
On Possum Kingdom the only time we can get glass water on the weekends is early, the wife and I are out on the water between 6 and 6:30 and can ski with no problems until 9:30 to 10. We go back in cook breakfast, prepare an ice chest and head back out afternoon for hanging with friends and floating in the water. Sometimes we are able to get smooth water just as the sun is going down.

G-man
07-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Brazos river outside of Tintop

jraben8
07-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Public water... Go to Okla if you want to be out past 10am.

TXX9
07-21-2010, 05:15 AM
Lake Weatherford seems to have better water than Eagle Mountain. We spend alot of time on both.

east tx skier
07-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Brazos river outside of Tintop

I think he meant fresh water, G-Man! :)