PDA

View Full Version : fuel injection conversion

jake
07-03-2005, 09:11 PM
I recall a thread on this topic in the past, but couldn't find it. It may have been on the old board. Anyone converted their carburated engine to fuel injection?

Summit Racing caries a Holly conversion kit for $879. It's the Holly Projection Marine 650cfm throttle body system. Says the kit is complete with everything required for installation. I'm assuming the stock intake and ignition system will work, anyone know?

I have the infamous 4110 on my 93 190, was looking at converting to the more reliable 4160, this kit is only a few hundred more than a new carb.

Leroy
07-04-2005, 12:06 AM
First, I am no expert and have never done this. I searched on internet based on the carb problems and it looked to be expensive (like $2-4k) to change over from a carb system. Where I looked they did change out the intake. I can't remember seeing anyone actually doing that on here. If you google carb to EFI conversion you can find kits and testimonials from people that have done it. The testimonials I read were positive.

jake
07-04-2005, 11:08 PM
From what I can see, this holly system will bolt on to the existing intake, and it's less than $900, not $2-4k.

6ballsisall
07-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Jake, be careful with that stuff. Auto and Marine is way different. I found that out when I somehow had a Auto carb in lieu of the marine carb i ordered back a few months ago. It flat out won't run when you try and plane out. Secondly, I think with those systems you need an O2 sensor in the pipes, that's going to be awful tough on a boat like ours

Leroy
07-05-2005, 02:59 AM
I would like the comments of JimN or EngineNut as to how practical this conversion is. Less than $1k would not be bad when a carb can cost $500.

jake
07-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Jake, be careful with that stuff. Auto and Marine is way different. I found that out when I somehow had a Auto carb in lieu of the marine carb i ordered back a few months ago. It flat out won't run when you try and plane out. Secondly, I think with those systems you need an O2 sensor in the pipes, that's going to be awful tough on a boat like ours

It's a marine specific kit. Although as far as I can tell, the only difference between the marine and auto kit is the flame arrestor. It also doesn't include an O2 sensor....does have MAP, IAT, and TPS sensors. Here's the info from Summit Racing.

Brand: Holley
Product Line: Holley Marine Pro-Jection TBI Systems
EGR: No
Injection Style: Throttle body
Metering Style: Speed density
Intake Manifold Included: No
Engine Block Style: Stock/OEM standard deck
Fuel Rails Included: No
Throttle Body Included: Yes
Throttle Body Mounting Flange: 4-barrel square bore
Venturi Quantity: 2
Airflow Rate (cfm): 670 cfm
Throttle Body Material: Cast aluminum
Throttle Body Finish: Natural
Injectors Included: Yes
Injector Size (lbs/hr): 85
Calibration Module Included: No
ECM Included: Yes
Wiring Harness Included: Yes
Oxygen Sensor Included: No
Fuel Pump Included: Yes
Fuel Pressure Regulator Included: Yes
Distributor Included: No
MAP Sensor Included: Yes
IAT Sensor Included: Yes
TPS Sensor Included: Yes
IAC Motor Included: Yes
Quantity: Sold as a kit.
Notes: Kit includes a flame arrestor for marine use.

Pro-Jection Fuel Injection, Throttle Body, 670 cfm, Speed Density, AMC/GM/Mopar/Ford/Plymouth, V8, Kit

Check to make sure this part fits your application
Effective fuel delivery for optimum performance.
These Holley Marine Pro-Jection TBI systems are a combination of specially designed components that form a very effective fuel delivery system for optimum performance. These are complete stand-alone systems with a reliable and rugged digital "2D" computer (ECU), which provides adjustments for idle, accelerator pump, main jet, high rpm jet, and choke. The systems include injectors, a fuel pressure regulator, a marine fuel pump, a stainless steel flame arrestor, and adapters for either spread bore or square flange manifolds. They also feature a temperature-insulated, weather-sealed wiring harness designed for "plug-in" installation. So spend less time worrying about your setup, and more time enjoying your boat, with a little help from Holley!

east tx skier
07-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Everyone I've ever mentioned this idea to said it was not worth the money. I'm as far from an expert on the subject as you'll find, but I have asked this question to several tournament inboard mechanics and have received that same answer 100% of the time. Not trying to discourage you, but that's what they told me (and this was when I had the 4010).

jake
07-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Doug: I've heard similar things, but since I'm going to replace the 4110, this is more a question of it being worth the extra $300 to go to TBI rather than putting on the 4160.

east tx skier
07-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Reliability is, of course, the key with fuel injection. I would talk to people who have personal experience with the Holley Marine Pro-jection system. Fuel injection is, as a general rule, reliable. But is that system a good one, is what I would want to know. What makes the other systems $2K and this one only $800?