PDA

View Full Version : Trans slip

mousam
07-14-2010, 08:18 PM
today I noticed what appeared to be the trans. slipping. When I gas it hard out of the hole, it revs up and looses grip on the water. I first noticed it when trying to pull up a skier today. I also notice it happens when I turn around to pick up a fallen skier. When I accelerate slowly it does not happen.

Also is it normal to be able to spin the prop when the boat is in nuetral and in gear? I thought you couldnt spin a prop when it was in gear.

Does it sound like the trans. is going. Fluid was checked and is fine. It was recently replaced.

1989 prostar
velvet 10-17, 1:1 trans

André
07-14-2010, 09:14 PM
today I noticed what appeared to be the trans. slipping. When I gas it hard out of the hole, it revs up and looses grip on the water. I first noticed it when trying to pull up a skier today. I also notice it happens when I turn around to pick up a fallen skier. When I accelerate slowly it does not happen.

Also is it normal to be able to spin the prop when the boat is in nuetral and in gear? I thought you couldnt spin a prop when it was in gear.

Does it sound like the trans. is going. Fluid was checked and is fine. It was recently replaced.

1989 prostar
velvet 10-17, 1:1 trans
Had the exact same problems last year.
I would double check oil level.You have to check it right after stopping the boat and engine before oil return from the oil lines and cooler.Try adding a couples of onces.How much did you put back in?

Skipper
07-15-2010, 08:43 AM
When the drive shaft spins while the transmission is in neutral it is an indication of a transmission problem because one of the clutches, disks, or something inside is not doing what it is supposed to be doing. Not a real technical explanation, but I am not a transmission mechanic. I know that if you find a local shop that with parts and labor it can be fixed for about $300 and you will be good as new.

mousam
07-15-2010, 01:08 PM
thanks for the replies. I got some trans fluid and am going to try to add a bit today and see what happens.

TLR67
07-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Add fluid problem solved... You are checking it with the boat running arent you?

mousam
07-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Topped her off and she runs like a champ now. I must have a slow leak somewere. Is there a product that I can put in that will help stop a leak?

TLR67
07-16-2010, 11:10 AM
They sell some stuff for that but its not going to last... I actually had the same issue.. I found the problem to be coming from the seal in the plug... Easy fix... I would drain it all and put fresh fluid in and see what it does..

Luv2Ski
07-16-2010, 01:28 PM

You can definitely spin the prop by hand with the engine off; regardless of the location of the gear selector. These transmissions are controlled by hydrolic fluid, if the engine is not running, there is no fluid pressure so you don't really do anything by changing the gear selector.

Likely leak locations are in the valve body or the front and rear seals. Valve body is very easy to fix, just pull it out and and put on new "o" rings. Rear is very easy to fix as well, front requires removal of trans which is a mild pain but is otherwise easy .

First step is to clean up the trans, run it, and figure out where the leak is. If you can't find the leak, it probably not fast enough to matter.

André
07-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Topped her off and she runs like a champ now. I must have a slow leak somewere. Is there a product that I can put in that will help stop a leak?

No.Find the leak and repair.:)

Nvrgvup
07-16-2010, 09:22 PM
I second that. Really should find the leak if there is one. Seal replacement is cheap and much easier than a full rebuild if it is really leaking.