PDA

View Full Version : 4010 vs. 4160 fuel consumption?

zekedog
07-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Any difference in fuel consumption if I switch out my POS 4010 for a 4160?

etduc
07-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Any difference in fuel consumption if I switch out my POS 4010 for a 4160?

Don't know about fuel consuption,(probably better). 4160 is just a better carb, for boats.

east tx skier
07-14-2010, 11:25 AM
They are both 600 cfm carbs. Assuming the mixture was adjusted the same, I'd guess that any difference would be negligible. If anything, I would guess that the 4160 might do a little better. But having run both, I don't recall fuel consumption or baselines changing at all.

Upon further consideration, you'd probably save some fuel with the 4160 for your not having to constantly restart, pump the throttle to get it restarted, and feather the throttle to keep the engine running at idle.

oldairboater
07-14-2010, 04:02 PM
I will be the first to confess to not being good with carbs. Carb is nothing but a variable fuel and air metering device. Holley's are simple to work on but I will take it to someone else if it needs rebuilding. I can tune and adjust one but if I try to rebuild it---it never works right again till someone else does it. I have had no problems with my 4010 but a stuck float or secondary diaphragm-which I managed to get working monkey wrenching it to trouble shoot fuel starvation above 3,000 rpm. Y'all have me worried about the 4010---what is the flaw? So far my boat idles, starts good, and now runs like a scalded cat. I am reluctant to get rid of a Holley for another Holley of the same cfm that looks to be same in theory of operation with just minor changes.

east tx skier
07-14-2010, 04:04 PM
So far my boat idles, starts good, and now runs like a scalded cat. I am reluctant to get rid of a Holley for another Holley of the same cfm that looks to be same in theory of operation with just minor changes.

If it idles well, even after being run and shut down, don't worry with it and enjoy it. If it ever because a real pain at idle to the point where a professional rebuild wouldn't fix it, start shopping.

oldairboater
07-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Some things have design flaws. Almost everyone on here dislikes a 4010 when it is messing up--just curious as to why when they are wrong they are throw away wrong. I have had carbs that get worn in the bushings--leak air--won't tune--and can't get parts for. Threw them away gladly. Just wonder if that was the 4010's problem. Lots of specific knowledge here on things I don't work on much. Been useful and a real money /time saver.If it idles well, even after being run and shut down, don't worry with it and enjoy it. If it ever because a real pain at idle to the point where a professional rebuild wouldn't fix it, start shopping.

east tx skier
07-14-2010, 05:13 PM
My test drive was short with my 205. But once I got it home, it idled terribly once it had warmed up. It would readily stall if you didn't feather the throttle. Made pulling skiers a real pain. I contacted my local inboard mechanic. He said he could rebuild it, but advised me to ditch it. He mentioned that CC had used the 4010 around the same time as MC and had recalled it to replace with the 4160 for the same symptoms. I cheaped out and opted for the rebuild. When I got it back and the problem persisted, I bought the 4160, had my local auto mechanic put it on there, sold the newly rebuilt 4010 for $75 with full disclosure that I thought it was a terrible carb for this application and had a boat the started and idled like it was fuel injected for the next four years. The only adjustment I ever made to the 4160 was a quick turn of the idle screw the first time I had it out on the water.

zekedog
07-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the input. "ETS" it's like you have been driving my boat. All the symptoms. National Carb is selling on Ebay for $249 with no exchange and a lifetime warranty. Ebay..."Holley Marine 351 80319" Anyone used them?