PDA

View Full Version : Gas Spings FAILED! Ideas...

MotoCraft08
07-14-2010, 12:23 AM
My boat is less than two years old and out of the 9 gas springs installed throughout the boat, 7 of them have completely lost their resistance. These are installed with the intent to prevent panels/doors from flinging open and ripping off their hinges.

Two are mounted on the motor panel (still good), 1 on each side rear panel (both bad), 1 on the seat panel under the glove box (bad), 2 on each side of the front seats (all bad). So each time we open these seats or panels they come flying up and almost rip the mounts out of the fiberglass! So of coarse, I'm the only one that opens them b/c I make sure not to let them fly open.

I called SPD (www.spdhardware.com) and esplained to them the issue. They stated, "we have no warranty on any of our products" and "springs only last a few years." I explained that it had been less than 2 years. She basically said tuff luck, "log on and order replacements." Who makes products with no warranty these days????

I suppose that's not the end of the world - But I'd rather not order from these guys if a. I'm doing this again in two years or b. there is a different manufacturer of these springs that both stands behind their product and/or makes something that lasts.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

russlars
07-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Some folks have had luck by taking the gas springs to NAPA or other auto parts stores and having them cross referenced to a different manufacturer. You basically need the length and the pounds of lift which is usually stamped on the shock.

cf_koch
07-14-2010, 06:31 AM
I have been able to find replacement gas springs at Auto Zone.

east tx skier
07-14-2010, 11:36 AM
NAPA will find you a replacement. But it may not last any longer than the OEM part. They get used and wear out.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-14-2010, 11:46 AM
So would a guy make these last any longer if they were disconnected and extended in the off season?

east tx skier
07-14-2010, 12:34 PM
So would a guy make these last any longer if they were disconnected and extended in the off season?

I don't know. Too much trouble for me. The last one I replaced on my old boat was going strong after 4 years.

Barefooter92
07-14-2010, 12:42 PM
I buy mine at Advanced Auto.

Length, pounds, and end style. They have them next day at your local store.

MotoCraft08
07-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Just a follow up... Napa has the them in stock (for the most part). However, they are the EXACT same springs as the OEM springs (SPD), but they are double the price.

macattack
07-15-2010, 09:17 PM
I have successfully used Lift Support Depots http://www.autopartsbylou.com/ in the past for replacing the lift supports on my Jeep hood; it's been 2 yrs and so far they work great. I just ordered two more for the Jeep's rear hatch and the glovebox on my PS197 at half the price NAPA wanted...mac

MotoCraft08
07-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Final follow up... I went with Attwood (http://attwoodmarine.com/store/category/gas-springs) then on to Back to Boating. Kevin was really helpful and friendly at BtoB. He was surprised to hear that the SPD springs failed so soon and was confident the Attwood product would last much longer. Time will tell. They just seemed to have a better built product. They offer stainless steel too and thicker diameter rods.

The funny part is that out of the 10 springs throughout the boat, 8 of them are bad. Only one was a non SPD spring installed in the front hatch where the ladder comes out of the bow between the pickle-forks. It's a small one and I don't think SPD made one that small. It works fine and it's an Attwood.

macattack
07-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Ref mrmastercraft's lift support "last longer" question, this FAQ link will provide you everything you ever wanted to know & maybe more than you really wanted to know about lift supports...best orientation, temperature affect, life expectancy, etc. They recommend keeping the strut compressed so the shaft stays oiled/prevents corrosion. Temp changes (+/- 18 degrees) affect output performance (P1/T1 = P2/T2 for you engineers:D) and very high/low temps affect the seals/loss of gas. So, for non climate controlled winter/summer storage, it may be worthwhile to remove the struts and keep them in the house if you are so inclined...mac

http://autopartsbylou.com/lift-supports-faq.php#faq1