PDA

View Full Version : Water leak where exhaust joins muffler

Shredman
07-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Anybody ever have water leaking in where the exhaust hose joins the muffler on a V-drive (225VRS)? The clamps are in place, but there is a significant volume of water coming in.

Do mufflers ever crack, or has the hose just worked it's way loose? I tightened the clamps a little, but they are impossible to reach.

TLR67
07-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Yep sounds like a cracked muffler for sure.... Maybe it wasnt drained during the winter??

Shredman
07-14-2010, 05:48 PM
I've never drained them in 10 years of owning the boat. The exhaust is open and the boat is out of the water, so it seems unlikely that enough water would remain that could be confined anywhere to expand and crack.

Also, while I had a small amount of water of unknown origin entering the bilge at the beginning of this summer (same amount as at the end of last summer), the volume of water increased exponentially after the engine overheated due to a raw water hose that was not reconnected by the repair shop. See my consequences of overheating post.

Bottom line was that when I put the boat in the water and got a couple hundred yards from the dock, I noticed the bilge pump came on and looked in the bilge and found it up to the floorboards. At the same time I noticed the temperature guage was out of range. The boat went into protection mode and I limped back to the dock and pulled it. The disconnected hose was pumping raw water into my bilge and the engine overheated as a consequence.

There is no doubt that the increase in leaking that I have subsequently attributed to the exhaust hose/muffler connection (manifold side) began after my almost sinking and overheating. It is a closed cooling system.

Now that I think about it, if the cooling water wasn't going through the manifold, it wasn't getting to the muffler. Does the muffler need to be cooled too?

If so, is it possible that the overheating caused by the raw water not being hooked up could have caused a crack in the muffler?

AFX-30
07-14-2010, 11:18 PM
I melted my exhaust when I overheated my X-30. I tried to find a replacement slinentmaster and could not. So I found some silencers from a company out in Cali and welded on some elbows I had fabbed. I love the sound of the boat way better now at idle and when running. Alsoon the plus side, it is a steel exhaust with only the 2 rubber hose connectors, so no more repairs.